Allison Murray
Allison Murray
  • Brownsville, TX

Cover Your Ugly Christmas Tree Base - Simple Fix

Way back when I covered my ugly artificial Christmas tree base with a box that looked like a gift. I've done that again this year but I added weight to the box and height to the tree. This is a bit simpler but still effective. I used this method on my 7 foot tall tree and it worked a dream and whipped up in only 15 minutes!
cover your ugly christmas tree base simple fix, christmas decorations, container gardening, how to, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
See that ugly base? My biggest problem was that my cats were constantly running off with the tree skirt or fighting with it under the tree and knocking the tree over. They would try to climb it too but that darn tree skirt was causing me so many headaches so I decided to eliminate it entirely.
I first started with a moving box, taping it up well and cutting a hole for the pole in the exact center.
The box was trimmed down to size so that the box laid flat perfectly with the bottom of the base.
The "gift" was wrapped and then the tree pole pushed through the box and the base attached.
Flipped back over, I tossed my tree skirt in the Goodwill donation box. The kitties never knocked this sucker over again!
Allison Murray

• Roxanne Llewellyn

so u could actually make ur tree look taller ...mine is too small for my raised ceilings....its 6 feet...so te bigger the box...more height or would sturdiness play a part or does box stabilize and stands pwefectky...very interesting...my kitty does not bother with tree skirt but does like to get under at times...what are your suggestions for tha...please email...grllewellyn@live.com...any suggestions would actually be very helpful or am I fooling myself...please answer..thinking of giving it a lift be nice to make it taller to offset ...thanking for ur ttime and patience...thx or would box the height look unsightly...please info..thx so much grllewellyn@live.com

• Allison Murray

I did that myself! I have crazy tall ceilings and so we raised the tree by about a foot and a half to two feet. The box for the base was big but when surrounded by real presents it blended right in!

• Allison Murray

Here. This is where I added some height doing the box cover a bit differently last year. http://www.dreamalittlebigger.com/post/sturdy-christmas-tree-base-cover.html" target="_blank">http://www.dreamalittlebigger.com/post/sturdy...

• Heidi

I've done that for the last two Christmases.

, Wrapped cabinet purple laid on its back set the tree on top to increase its height Then a box silver over the tree base I made two wired ribbon bows tucked them on each side of the tree pole, Seven foot tree increased to eight feet by placing on top of cabinet No tree skirt needed
    • Mcp8601520

You could cut the hole and the top slits following the original directions. Gift wrap the box. Then cut one slit from the hole across to one edge and on down to the floor, so to speak. Place the tree where you want it. Sort of pry that cut apart and slip the box around the tree base placing the slit where you can reach it comfortably. Bring box slit sides back together and tape tightly shut. Done.
    • Wendy Molnar

Actually putting the base inside the box isn't going to give you any height to your tree. To get a desire height it would be better to build a plywood box ( under side being hollow), wrap the box as a gift, then attach the tree stand to the top of the box with clamps or screws. You could still use a tree skirt that ties at the base to prevent pets from removing it, but if they try the box is heavy enough to keep the tree stable. Just make sure the box extends out a few inches from the base legs. The only pet that could tip the tree over would be a Great Dane or a miniature pony. Lol.
    • Barbara Jo Louise

I use a larger crate, wrapped in gift wrap, then add the smaller one on top with the tree inside(base) that one.(like your photo) works well to give it height. Not worried about any tipping over as it's in a corner area. The crate base makes it sturdy.
    • Katrina Eckels

For height I put my tree on a small folding table and decorate the table so it's both hidden and allows me to put presents under it so they don't spill out into the room.
    • Sarah Metzger

There are extenders for artificial trees. We have one to add 8 inches. We made a base for the tree out of foam core with a 4 sides pyramid top and square base. The tree skirt fits nicely over it a still has several inches on the floor. One seam is left open and we added velcro strips across the seam to secure. Have used it for 6 years now. Works great.
    • Ann

Now it's just my husband and myself...we don't put a lot of presents under the tree, so we were stuck looking at the bare stick. I now just leave out that part of the tree kit so that the tree sits almost flush with the floor. Also, it now fits perfectly in one of the doorways between the den and the sunroom.
    • At my ex hubby's house we have crazy high ceilings so we built a big box to set the tree on and I made a tree skirt to cover it all. (We purchase real trees then recycle them.) Then I have a bunch of boxes that I wrapped in holiday paper and arrange under the tree so it does not look naked. He made the box with hinges and a latch and use to store some of the holiday decor in when not in use. Looks awesome!
    • Tina Mcnicholas

I did sort of the same thing a couple years ago. I set my tree on a large gift wrapped box, too. Only the box contain my sons' big Christmas gift. It was funny to see his face when he opened all his gifts but didn't get that one "special " gift he had wished for. I told him there was still a gift under the tree that was his. He looked at me like I was crazy and said there wasn't any more gifts under the tree. He laughed so hard when I told him it was UNDER the tree and to lift up the tree!
    • Susan

you could also hang it from the ceiling!
    • Lori

since our first tree twenty years ago was knocked over by our 4 cats - I've been tie ing off with fishing line .. it has never gone over again😻
  • Genie Medlin

Why didn't you show a picture of the finished project?

• Polly Alexander

I love your creativity. I too as some comments show, have to short of a tree. Not being as handy, I used a plastic crate to set my tree on, stand fit perfectly almost locked in so I didn’t have to worry about tipping over. It raised the tree to fit all my presents underneath.
  • Martha Butz

Our 20 month old grandson liked to play hide-and-seek under the fabric tree skirt at my daughter's house, so when I saw this idea I thought it was a perfect solution at our house. And it was! I used bright red foil paper with Santa, etc. on it. The only confusion was when his four year old sister kept asking me why I was giving away our Christmas tree! It took a while before I understood she thought it was wrapped as as gift to give away. Looked great and I'll do it again every year! Thanks!