Garage & Workbench Makeover

For this fall's One Room Challenge we decided to tackle our garage as it was by far the most terrible room in our house. I have feared opening our garage door for more than a minute or two for the last year because it was in such bad shape, and we wanted that to change! For the full effect, let's start out with the before pictures of the space.
We set a few goals for ourselves including decluttering, creating smarter spaces to stay organized, painting just about every surface of the room, and renovating the shell of a workbench that was in the house when we bought it. After 6 weeks of work, here's how it ended up!
My favorite part of the makeover was how the workbench turned out! We added 4 doors (two that only look like drawers!), a chalkboard top and a framed out pegboard to hang all of our most used tools. The chalkboard top has come in handy when jotting down a quick measurement, or drawing out plans for future projects.
These pendant lights were a DIY that cost about $20 each - we used a round vent reducer, and inexpensive plug in light, a shelf bracket and a plastic bulb protector to make a custom light!
Another space that got a lot of attention was right next to the door to get inside the house. A DIY bench, some trim work and a few accessories and we had a little mud room area that we will definitely use this winter!
We also added some hanging storage and a potting bench area on the opposite wall to keep us even more organized. Our huge trash cans fit perfectly under the potting bench, making it easy to get to them, yet tucked away at the same time.
Last but not least we added some additional storage units and created a scrap wood holder (using scrap wood of course!) on wheels.
All of this organization makes me incredibly happy, and with a little clean up every time we take on a new project, we've managed to keep it looking the same as the day these pictures were taken!

Sypsie Designs

• Maggie Kopp Martin

What is the wall color? I just painted my garage and have total remorse of the color. It's a blue gray, it makes the garage look dark and small. Ironically my door is the same blue the color combination works well.
  • Emily Miles Hughes

where can I find the plans for the DIY bench and what stain did you use on it?
  • Janell Schmid

what color did you use for the walls?