Garage & Workbench Makeover

For this fall's One Room Challenge we decided to tackle our garage as it was by far the most terrible room in our house. I have feared opening our garage door for more than a minute or two for the last year because it was in such bad shape, and we wanted that to change! For the full effect, let's start out with the before pictures of the space.
We set a few goals for ourselves including decluttering, creating smarter spaces to stay organized, painting just about every surface of the room, and renovating the shell of a workbench that was in the house when we bought it. After 6 weeks of work, here's how it ended up!
My favorite part of the makeover was how the workbench turned out! We added 4 doors (two that only look like drawers!), a chalkboard top and a framed out pegboard to hang all of our most used tools. The chalkboard top has come in handy when jotting down a quick measurement, or drawing out plans for future projects.
These pendant lights were a DIY that cost about $20 each - we used a round vent reducer, and inexpensive plug in light, a shelf bracket and a plastic bulb protector to make a custom light!
Another space that got a lot of attention was right next to the door to get inside the house. A DIY bench, some trim work and a few accessories and we had a little mud room area that we will definitely use this winter!
We also added some hanging storage and a potting bench area on the opposite wall to keep us even more organized. Our huge trash cans fit perfectly under the potting bench, making it easy to get to them, yet tucked away at the same time.
Last but not least we added some additional storage units and created a scrap wood holder (using scrap wood of course!) on wheels.
All of this organization makes me incredibly happy, and with a little clean up every time we take on a new project, we've managed to keep it looking the same as the day these pictures were taken!

18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Sypsie Designs

• Marian Drasher

Can you tell me what you did to the garage floor? The before picture shows spills on the floor, but in the after, the floor looks great in all pictures.

• Leslie

@Marian Drasher I saw your comment and you can wait for Sypsie to answer but it looks, because of the shine, like an Epoxy painted floor. The prep for this is crucial so you can Google how to do it. :) Hope I am right on this Sypsie can verify.

• Sypsie Designs

@Marian Drasher Of course! @Leslie is right :) We used Behr's epoxy garage floor paint and used the Behr cleaner/etcher during prep (prep is by far the most important step after reading reviews like Leslie said as well!)

• Jill

How long did it take you to complete it? Did you do section by section or pull everything out, purge and organize- then clean & paint then put back together?

• Sypsie Designs

@Jill Hi Jill! We completed everything in just over 5 weeks of nights/weekend work. We pulled everything out/purged (our living room was a temporary disaster) and then worked section by section, finishing that project and organizing at the same time.

• Kip

Total cost?

• Sypsie Designs

@Kip Hi Kip! We haven't added everything up, but I'd guess around $600-$700 when all said and done : )

• Karen

what did you use to refinish the floor

• Sypsie Designs

@Karen Hi Karen! We used Behr concrete etcher/cleaner and garage floor epoxy paint to refinish it : )

• C

Wow, great job! The entire garage looks so organized and efficient! Just curious though, where did you put the shop vac, the chairs and the cooler?

• Sypsie Designs

@C Hi Tarzana! Thank you! The shop vac fits under the cabinet and the chairs and coolers actually belong in the basement, we just got lazy and kept them in here for too long, so they're now back where they belong : )

• ..What is the product on the floor ? Is it epoxy based floor covering...or ?

• Sypsie Designs

@Shelby @ The Weathered Barn Studio Hi Shelby! Yes the floor is an epoxy paint made by Behr : )

• @Sypsie Designs ...Thank you, I was thinking it was the one by Behr ! It looks great, and the whole garage looks wonderful ! Lots of hard work, time and love always goes into ones' " makeovers'.

• Mindy Long

What did you do to the garage floor and do you park cars on it?

• Martzae

What did you use for the cabinet doors on the workbench?

• Maggie Kopp Martin

What is the wall color? I just painted my garage and have total remorse of the color. It's a blue gray, it makes the garage look dark and small. Ironically my door is the same blue the color combination works well.
  • Emily Miles Hughes

where can I find the plans for the DIY bench and what stain did you use on it?
  • Janell Schmid

what color did you use for the walls?