Why Paint It Pink, When You Don't Like Pink?

I don't like pink. I think it can be too 'sweet' or too 'girly'. It's just not 'me'. I don't think I've painted anything pink - until now.
Art Deco Chifferobe
I bought this vintage Art Deco Chifferobe earlier in the year. And it's been sat in my garage. And it sat. And I just couldn't figure out what to do with it.
It had beautiful carved detailing, but the veneer was a little 'off'. I'm sure a long time ago it was a beautiful blonde veneer, but it just looked yellow now. I wanted to love it, but I just couldn't.
And then, it hit me one evening. The Art Deco had to be pink! What? I don't like pink. But the more I thought about it (and the Era that it represented) it all started to make sense. I found a beautiful pink from the new paint line I've been using (Pure & Original) called Old Rose, and I wanted to pair it with gold leaf. I wanted a very glamourous look.
Gold Leaf Detailing
Pink and gold go beautifully together. I wanted to incorporate other colors, I knew I needed a neutral (Neutral Ground) and I needed to use a red for the gold leaf base. I choose Lipstick. Of course :)
It took lots and lots of thin layers to get to where I wanted it to be. But, it convinced me that not all pinks are created equal. Some of just so stinking beautiful that it's a joy to use them.
Beauty and Functionality
I wanted a pop of color on the inside, so the drawer fronts have been painted in Lipstick. Total Glam!
At some point in my life I bought pink shoes? Who knew?? Obviously I've never worn them because I don't like pink - remember :)
I love love love how it turned out. I think it's a piece that can be very transitional: From a baby girls' nursery, to a big girls bedroom - to a fully glam 'bigger girl' room.
I guess the lesson learned here, is that sometimes trying colors that you 'think' you don't like can be completely eye-opening for you! It's good to go outside of the comfort zone!

25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home

To see more: http://thepaintfactorypdx.com

• Nancyb

Love it! love it! love it!
  • Katherine

This is tremendous! Of course, I'm a huge fan of pink and always have been but even beyond the pink this is beautiful! Great job and thanks for sharing!