Clay B
Clay B
  • Chesapeake, VA
Asked on Dec 23, 2011

In chesapeake, VA, I want to build a pergola.

Sherrie SClay BEllen C
+7

Is attaching a ledger board to the home (2 story colonial) allowable in Chesapeake. Deciding if I should go this route, or a free standing pergola. Will attach to back of home, about 30 feet long, and go out about 14'.
  • KMS Woodworks

I'm a big fan of "free standing" as in this project. http://www.hometalk.com/Kevin/project/2501 Here I used 6 x 6 cedar columns, 4 x 8 cedar beams with 4 x 6 cedar cross members.

I don't know what the code is Chesapeake, but it was allowable in here in New Smyrna Beach. I just added a pergola attached to my house. The style would not be appropriate for a colonial, but here are some photos: http://www.hometalk.com/activity/114487

• Clay B

@KMS, I would prefer a free-standing, but not long ago I had a paver pation installed. I did not want to disturb this to install a pergola, there is no where to put posts near the home. So I wanted to ledger board it to the house, and put posts out about 14feet from the house, and go from there.

• KMS Woodworks

Clay...that pergola I built was on a flagstone patio. I pulled a few stone and dug the footers...when completed I recut the stones to fit around the base.

• Clay B

KMS, thank you. My patio has crush and run under the sand, won't be easy to dig, but may go this route.

• Lillian S

Attached to the house is more convenient. Easier to bring dishes from the kitchen, and pick it up after using the pergola.

• Sherrie S

Just to be safe I would check the codes in your area. In my area there were a few issues.

• Ellen C

Clay...you didn't mention whether your house has was brick or siding. If siding, you would have to open a portion of the exterior envelope of your home to attach the ledger to the wall structure. This presents opportunities for leaks, if not properly sealed and trimmed. Don't try to mount a ledger to face brick...the loads, any shift in your structure due to high wind, settlement, etc. could crumble the wall. Go with a free standing structure... unless you're very experienced in structure tie-ins.

• Clay B

The house is vinyl sided now. I could tie it into the second floor, floor joist/skirting. I havfe no problem removing the siding, attaching th eledger, flashing/drip cap etc.

• Sherrie S

I am only repeating something I read but I would suggest checking taxes. before making a decision. Read below: Most if not all cities require a building permit and your home is usually assessed every few of years so they will raise the taxes it it's attached to your home.