Make Your Own Chalk Paint - Painted Piano

"Never paint a piano yellow, "they" would probably say. Unless you are a wild woman. Painting a piano yellow means living life on the edge. It is dangerous. Rebellious. Probably something we shouldn't talk about in public. Certainly not something we should admit to doing lest "they" don't like it." -The Inspired Room
I love this quote from the Inspired Room because so many people told me not to paint my piano! We got it for free off Craigslist and it was not in great shape. Still, plenty of people hold a firm belief that no piano should ever be painted.
Well, call me a "wild woman" because I painted my piano!!!
make your own chalk paint painted piano, chalk paint, painted furniture
I knew I wanted to paint my piano with chalk paint because of how well it holds up. I started by lightly sanding down the surface and cleaning it off with a damp cloth.
What you need:
Sanding block or sand paper
Latex paint of any color (I used Behr Premium paint and primer in one in a satin finish)
Plaster of Paris
Bucket
Foam brush
Water
Minwax finishing wax
Step one: Get a bucket and mark off the side for easy measuring. I went a little too crazy with my marks - you really only need 4 lines spaced evenly.
Step two: Pour Plaster of Paris into the bucket until it reaches the first line. Slowly add warm water (about a Tablespoon at a time) until the mixture is smooth and no longer gritty. I likened this step to mixing corn starch in cold water before adding it to pan of bubbling stew. You want it nice and smooth before adding the paint. Add just enough water so your mixture is smooth and a pudding like consistency. You don't want it too watery. You should now be just above the first line, but not to the second.
Step three: Add paint in your desired color up to the fourth line and stir well.
Step four: Paint!
Step five: After paint has dried, you could distress your piece with fine sand paper - or skip this step.
Step six: Seal with a coat of Minwax Finishing Wax.
I haven't regretted painting my piano once since doing it! We had it professionally tuned for about $100 and it has been played by many people at various skill levels. No one has seen any difference in the sound quality and as far as I'm concerned, it sounds great.
Better yet.... it looks amazing!
Stop by my blog and home tour to see how great it looks with the rest of the decor!!
http://allthingswithpurpose.com/2015/04/painted-piano-chalk-paint/

Sarah Lemp {All Things with Purpose}