Mix Chalk Paint and Wax Together to Age Terracotta Pots

Using a mixture of chalk paint and wax, I gave my flower pots an aged patina. I was inspired to age my terracotta pots with paint after seeing At The Picket Fence's pretty pots!
Simply mix 1 tbsp of clear wax with 1 tbsp of white chalk paint. You don't have to use the brands pictured. I've tried this with chalk-like paint and wax purchased at the home improvement store and it worked just as well.
Dip the tips of your bristles in the mixture, then brush it on the terracotta pot.
Let it dry for about 30 minutes, then lightly sand the pot with 220 grit sandpaper.

Tricia @ Simplicity In The South

• Genine

I am sure one could also get spray on polyurathane, there is interior/exterior, and coat the exterior of the pot....

• Karen

I am going to try this for some outdoor pots I have. Do I need to coat them with something as well? To protect them from the rain, sun, etc.

• Hi Karen, the wax that is mixed with the paint seals the pots. I have 4 of them that are kept outside in the elements and the finish holds up except around the top lip. I'm not sure why that part wears down first. Every couple of years (it's been 3 years on some), I go back over the pots with the same technique.