A groovy shaggy ottoman to rest my feet!

$32

Love texture? This ottoman has texture! I saw a shaggy ottoman in the Viva Terra catalog just after buying an ottoman for $20 at a local thrift shop. I decided to make a removable shaggy slip cover. First I removed the outdated paint. For now, I wanted a bare wood look. In the future I may decide to paint the legs creamy white or black. After removing the paint I sanded lightly and waxed the wood. Then I
My shaggy ottoman inspired by Viva Terra.
The thrift store ottoman I bought for $20.
A slip cover made from burlap.
A slip cover made from burlap.
Outdated paint I stripped, yuck!
Outdated paint I stripped, yuck!
Four types of cut yarn and string.
Four types of cut yarn and string.
The corner I finished the first night.
The corner I finished the first night.
Close up of the loops.
Close up of the loops.
The Viva Terra Ottoman.  Love it so much I made one.
The Viva Terra Ottoman. Love it so much I made one.
My shaggy ottoman.
My shaggy ottoman.
The new resident of the shaggy ottoman.  The ottoman sits currently in the middle of our living room in front of the fireplace.
The new resident of the shaggy ottoman. The ottoman sits currently in the middle of our living room in front of the fireplace.
This photo shows the back left leg with the "claw" molding showing.  This leg was place wrong with the ottoman was first made.
This photo shows the back left leg with the "claw" molding showing. This leg was place wrong with the ottoman was first made.
Country Design Style-Jeanette

• Joyce Overbay

Can the shaggy material be purchased or do you have to make it like shown? Wonder if you could use mops or the dust mop replacements someway? Be so much easier I think and just use the furniture tacks to put on the foot stool with. Just wondering?

• @Joyce Overbay I had thought about using dust mop refills in the beginning, but I wanted more texture. I used 4 different types of "threads." I do think dust mop refills would work. I have a smaller ottoman I should try a couple of dust mops with it. It could be done in an afternoon.

• Joanne McTiernan

I like yours so much more than the other one! Great job!