IKEA SEKTION Hack: TV Console

When I begin designing a room, chances are I already have a vision in mind of what I want the space to look like. The only issue I have about 90% of the time is I can’t find furniture pieces in big box stores that fit my unique vision.
In my dream world, I would have unlimited funds and access to top-notch furniture makers with the ability to get everything custom made for that seamless fit. However, reality does check in and I have to face the fact that my plans need to be altered to make due with what is accessible to me.
That’s why I love coming up with clever ways to get a customized look for less. In my latest family room makeover, I created a TV stand using IKEA kitchen cabinets and some fancy brass hardware for that clean linear look that I was after.
This great versatile project could easily be used as a sideboard, a buffet server or just plain out extra storage in any part of your home. We made this for roughly $400, which is a steal of deal compared to similar style units that I was looking at for over $1,300!
Side Note: If you are on a tight budget there is a way to cut the price in half even further using IKEA BESTA TV bench. We didn’t end up going this route due to the fact that the benches only come in two lengths (47″ or 70″), one being too small and the other being to large for the wall we are using.
To begin, we started off with two SEKTION wall cabinets (30x15x20″), which are typically used in a kitchen above a fridge or freezer. We assembled and secured them both together.
In order to create that white frame around the unit, we used inexpensive fibreboard shelves, which we found at our local hardware store.
Although the primary function of this fibreboard is for shelves, the dimensions actually work perfectly in order to wrap the IKEA wall cabinets. With a cabinet depth of 15″ and the shelf depth of 16″, the only cuts we had to make were for the length. The inch difference gave us enough play to add an overhang to the front of the unit so the cabinet doors are flush with the wrapped frame.
To secure everything, we used PL adhesive and some finishing nails.
Now the great thing about IKEA wall cabinets is if you want them to float on the wall you could just purchase the suspension rails to do so. However, I wanted this console to look like a piece of furniture so I opted for legs. We created our own out of 1×2″ pine wood in the following measurements:
If I had to do this project again, I would definitely alter a couple of measurements for the base. When we placed the unit in its upright position, I noticed we couldn’t see the front of the base. Although we didn’t go back to change it, I would have love to see the 3.25″ measurements bumped out to 1″ to make the base more viewable
The great thing about this project is that IKEA has a variety of different finishes when it comes to cabinet doors. You could really alter the look significantly to match any decor in your home! For more details, please visit Pink Little Notebook's post:

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Sabrina

• Brendan McConville
    Brendan McConville

How did you finish off the rough edges of the fibreboard?
    • GG
      GG

Very helpful, thanks.

• Kathy
    Kathy

What is the total width of the cabinet? Do you think it is wide enough to make a kitchen table bench?

• Shannon
    Shannon

What is that wall color? I love that it is a grey/brown!

• TerpMoma
      TerpMoma

Would you say the Perfect Greige is more grey or Beige? I'm looking for a grey that's not too dark but that shows up on the wall. Thanks

• Brenda Grover Clark
    Brenda Grover Clark

Great looking cabinet!

• Cindy Kiefer
    Cindy Kiefer

very nice!! I was thinking of a similar project, using a cabinet to make a floating bathroom vanity. Thought it would be much less expensive than commercial ones.