How to: Grout in Bright Colors!

$13

Why settle for the usual colors? Mix your own!
how to grout in bright colors, how to, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, tiling
Grout colors, pfffft. They come in the same ol' same ol' colors, right? Why not try something new and fun and colorful and bright? For cheap!
After emailing my sweetheart several tile options and getting a snarky response in return related to the quantity of choices, he finally selected one for our kitchen backsplash.
When he chooses, I buy as it's a rarity that he does. The first piece was kinda' a pain in the rear but I eventually got it under control. Come read all the details about this project, the other things I've done in the kitchen, and a whole lot more over on my blog Flipping the Flip at humboldtartdept.blogspot.com!
Once all the tile was up it was grout color discussion time. "I dunno babe, what about, um, uh, gray?" I asked him. He shot me a look. "Uh no. How about yellow?" I got excited! Bright color grout?! How fun! Niiiiice. We settled on blue.
Info was minimal on the interwebs but I went with an 8 oz. bottle of acrylic paint. I mixed that to about 2.5 lbs. of white unsanded grout, added water, let sit, held my breath.
I did a couple sample pieces prior to the big mix which is important -- mixing acrylic paint into grout can result in several shades lighter than what's in the bottle. Test first to make sure it's the color you want.
ACK!!! It was scary for a bit there but in the end, it turned out great!
Here's a comparison of the blue paint bottle and the finished dried grout color. Came out closer than I expected!
What fun, right?! You can even do this in a bathroom too for a
And the paint was only three bucks! Can't beat that for some interesting and different grout color. Be sure to click on the link below for all the details, links, and more!

ANTIQUE WHITE (Biscuit) GROUT UNSANDED 5#
Apple Barrel 12 Essential Colors Matte Finish Craft Acrylic Paint
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Gail

What if you don't want blue grout one day?

• Natalie Jarnstedt

How would paint hold up on a tile counter where grey cement grout was use; I scrub it with a brush at least once a week.?

• Natalie Jarnstedt

Thank you - I guessed as much, but one can hope, can't one? I will have to stick to scrubbing...

• Oliva

Hi, Becky,

This is really striking! Have you had difficulty in maintaining the pristine appearance? Do you do much tomato cooking?

Great color choice!

• Becky at Flipping the Flip

Thank you! Haha, I am not a fan of cooking yet I do, tomato sauces too! It’s been easy as pie to maintain though, just a damp sponge clean up. Thanks so much!