How to Build a Red Screen Door Out of an Old Window

$10

For the closet under my stairs, since day one, I had my heart set on this closet being closed by an old screen door painted red. The only problem was, I couldn’t find a door to fit the space, so I decided that I had no choice but to build a screen door!

Which, left me a bit at a loss, as you guys know I really would much rather recycle then build totally from scratch, so we’ve been living without a door on my “wood closet” for several months now. Then I found this old window.

The moment I picked it up and leaned it against the garage, I knew it was all that I had been looking for. Tragically, the bottom screen was in too bad a shape to repair so I had to cut it off, so the window (already way too short) ended up FAR too short to be our door. So, I got to work.

I sandwiched the screen and the plywood with a 1×4 running entirely down either side, using screws as I went. Then, I flipped it over to the “front” and started framing it out with 1x4s around the bottom where the plywood was and 2x2s around the window.

The screen door complete, I added hinges and brought it into the house. I used regular door hinges but I only used two, this door didn’t weigh very much so I knew two would do. Once hung, I used wood putty on all of the screws holes and then sanded the entire door down with fine grit sand paper and my electric palm sander. Then, I taped off the screen and used Rustoleum Sunset Red paint.

I did three coats of paint on it and, yes I know, Rustoleum was a bit over kill but but the quart sized can of Rustoleum was only $7 and I used very little of it and I figured I would use it again somewhere else and it was also the perfect color.

I love my little screen door!

• Screen
  • Red paint

Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
GrandmasHouseDIY

• Lori Johansen

Bugs were on my mind as well...no silverfish in your area? Last time I ordered a cord of wood (Oklahoma), I drove into the garage one night and saw "movement" across the wood. Teaming with silverfish...haven't done it since, It's a GREAT idea...just wondered about all the creepy crawlers in wood. :)

• GrandmasHouseDIY

@Lori Johansen Oh that just gave me the willies! No, haven't had any problems so far lol But, again, we're very far north. All we've see are a couple of grubs and they didn't survive the burning :)

• Henri001

On your screens....why not screen print a cute little logo...something like "wood shed" or something like that on the top one and a cute little design on the lower screen?? LOVE the screen door!!

• Michelle Taylor

I am on it. We have purchased a home a year ago. The previous owners took every mirror and screen to the house. So luckly I love and upgrade mirrors regularly. But the strength door I have been pondering. This will be perfect. Can't wait.

• Karen Pullen

This is beautiful and a great idea. I was confused at first about why you would cut off the screen door when it was the screen that needed to be replaced. But, then I figured it would be sturdier and less prone to damage for its use with a solid wood lower panel. The only other question I have is whether the door has screen or glass (the pic appears to show glass reflecting), but it would be screen that would allow the ventilation. Just confused...