DIY Faux Christmas Boxwood Wreath That Lights Up

$30

For about ten million years I’ve wanted a boxwood wreath to hang in my home somewhere and look gorgeous. I love the boxwood look and have fallen madly in love with boxwood wreaths even more thanks to my trusty friend Pinterest. So I decided to make one and in the process make it light up with pretty Christmas lights.
diy faux christmas boxwood wreath that lights up, christmas decorations, crafts, seasonal holiday decor, wreaths
I snapped up a couple of 2 metre long plastic boxwood vines which to be honest where quite ugly, but I saw the potential and I knew I wanted to make a faux boxwood wreath so was happy with my $5.00 bargain.
What you need for this project:
Plastic Boxwood Plant or Vines (I used 2 x 2 metre vines)
14 inch round hay wreath
Hot Glue
Thick Ribbon (of your choice)
Fairy lights (battery operated and 1-2 metres long)
I started by attaching the fairy lights to the hay wreath. I weaved the fairy lights between the string wrapped around the hay wreath but found my fairy lights didn’t want to cooperate so I used a little hot glue as well to hold it all down the way I wanted to. I only added a little in certain places where the lights would not sit flat.
I took apart my boxwood vines and begin by hot glueing a small amount of the boxwood onto your wreath.
From here I worked backwards so you can not see the stems and the wreath becomes full and lush.
As I started building on my wreath I added larger bunches of boxwood to fill it up and save me time. I made sure to add boxwood all through the wreath, on the inside of the wreath as well as the outside and top to make it look as full as possible. I didn’t do the back because I didn’t feel it needed it and it’s a waste of materials. But if you're displaying it on a window I would suggest full the back also.
Nearing the end!
Once I finished glueing all of the boxwood to my wreath I tied ribbon on to the top of the wreath ready for hanging. I chose to keep it simple. I made the ribbon long so I can hang it on my front door out around the house. I also decided to make a pretty bow and glue it to the bottom. I love how it turned out. Makes it feel so Christmasy. You don't have to do this and can leave it plain or find a less permanent way to stick on your bow so you can use your faux boxwood wreath all year long.
There you have it. It was time consuming but I love the end result and I love how it looks all lit up! So pretty at night.
If you wish to see the full tutorial with more photos and a more detailed tutorial then head to my blog for the full post.
Maria @ Pastels And Macarons

• Cso13716987

The end result is beautiful, love congratulations !!!

• Patricia

Beautiful! I need a wreath for my front door, this is one of the best I've seen that is fairly simple to make.