Asked on Dec 8, 2015

I have white cabinets and travertine floors...what kind of countertop?

Sheila DMaryBarbara
+12

Concrete black high gloss or white?
  • Ruth
    Ruth

Without seeing the color of the Travetine, I'd still say the high gloss black to add contrast rather than white cabinets with a white countertop. Unless you have some contrasting color in your backsplash? Maybe post a pic, Sharrie.

• I assume that your travertine floors are white or possibly marbled? Although an all white kitchen can look stunning if done correctly, I prefer to have some type of contrast. If you choose the black concrete then you are sure to have a more dramatic look and the high gloss will add a touch of glam to the space. You have not mentioned the style of cabinets or any other elements in the space? ie: appliance colour, wall colour, andy architectural elements etc.

• Trudy  Blakely
    Trudy Blakely

Black

• Paul R
    Paul R

They are both acceptable and will give a nice look. If your kitchen has sufficient lighting, the black will give a rich look. I really like contrasting colors but that is my taste. I have seen a number of kitchens with light floors and white cabinets and tops. White will give you a clean look and it will help in lower light situations. I would look on Houzz and Pintrest for ideas. This may help you in your decision. Good luck!

Janet Pizaro

Personally I like contrast and would choose the black.However I do not know what color the floor is. A picture of your kitchen would help with the decision.

• Cyndi Moore Tippett
    Cyndi Moore Tippett

If you have alot of white in your kitchen, I think the black will be to stark. I would pick up a grey out of your travertine floors and go one shade darker. You want contrast but not to the degree the black will take it. A dark gray in the same color wave in your floors will be goregoous. It will give you the constract you crave without it bein "in your face".

• Jan Shore
    Jan Shore

I think quartz is very nice. Most have some sparkle as it is a natural stone, harder than granite. There are numerous colors available even darker toward the black. I think you will find that everything shows on a solid black surface, (the concrete) and you will find yourself very frequently needing to wipe the counters. Adding the sparkle and perhaps a bit of variety in the shade will help eliminate that need. I have a quartz which depending on the light looks, whitish grey, whitish blue and it is very difficult to see anything on the surface. I have to look hard to find the "dirt". I feel like a rattled on but I hope this is helpful.

• LD
    LD

Pull a color from the flooring for your countertops. When choosing the material for your countertops, consider the maintenance and cleaning options for each one. The trend now is quartz, which is durable, and easy to clean, just plain old Windex is used for cleaning. I installed quartz approximately 10 years ago (before it became the in thing, and it still looks like the day it was installed. I have included a link to Silestone which is what I installed. http://www.silestoneusa.com/colors/latest-colors/

• Bernadette Tetle
    Bernadette Tetle

My cabinets were white when we had our grant counter tops installed. I liked the look, if you plan on keeping the cabinets white, I would go with black counter tops.

• Bernadette Tetle
      Bernadette Tetle

My kitchen was a 7 year work in progress. We started with the countertops and ended with the flooring last year. Budget constraints forced us to move slowly. I'm glad it did, it helped me put together a kitchen that will stand the test of time. I always recommend going slowly if you can, living with modest improvements help one set tell tone for next project. Good luck with your kitchen project and enjoy the process.

• Barbara
    Barbara

We have black counter tops in our kitchen and when we moved in, the cabinets were painted a dingy grey-green as were the walls. Since the only windows in the kitchen are across the room from the counter/sink area, I painted our cabinets pure white to reflect their light. We love the 'farmhouse look' so I went with oil-rubbed bronze door/drawer pulls and lighting fixtures to compliment the counter tops and the walls were painted barely there blue to provide light. We added a touch of cranberry for added warmth, but you could use yellow, peach or mint green. I hated our counter tops when we bought the house. After five years of living with them, I love them! No competing texture/pattern to work with and black is compatible with contemporary as well as more 'vintage' styles.

• Mary
    Mary

I love the contrast of black with the white cabinets. I think they would look so classy.

• Sheila D
    Sheila D

What color are the travertine floors ?