Kathy K
Kathy K
  • Clarkston, MI
Asked on Dec 25, 2011

painting an oven

Rose3po3Kathy K
+10

I have an all white kitchen but the double oven is bisk. Has anyone ever tried to paint one?
  • LandlightS

It is best to have the oven painted via electrostatic painting. It will look exactly like an original white appliance and will not chip as will happen with a rustolean spray paint. Check the yellow pages for electrostatic painting Gary

• Nancy B

Is there a way to make an oven look like stainless steel?

• LandlightS

Yes. Look for a special sale at one of the big appliance outlets. Everything is on sale now. Sorry Nancy.....no such method exists

• LandlightS

Actually there may be a method. Get the model number of Your oven and check with Fox Appliance if stainless doors are available from the manufacturer..it will most likely be a chore to replace the panels, but it's worth a try. Fox Appliance in the Norcross area can be reached at 770-446-8446 Good Luck, Gary

• 3po3

Sounds like Landlight has an answer for Kathy. As to Nancy's question, there are paints that mimic stainless steel for appliances, but I have heard lousy reviews.

• While there are all sorts of paints for all sorts of items. When it comes to refinishing appliances this can be a bit tricky to do. The issue is with the shiny finish that you try to achieve. Although using a brush and roller may make the appliance look fine, your not going to get a final finish that will be as nice as one that is sprayed. Which then becomes an issue as any spray that works well on an appliance should be professionally applied using a compressor and good quality airless HVLP spray gun. While there are spray can finishes these really do not hold up as well as they want you to believe. There are companies that just spray appliances for a living. If the value of the oven is such that it warrants this then I would say go for the pro route. If its a lower quality appliance and all your doing is trying to match so the kitchen looks better, but plan is to upgrade in a year or so. Then you can purchase a appliance painting kit from any good quality paint store. Remember however the paint must be able to withstand high heats often found on oven fronts. And also remember the finish will not wear anything like the original baked on coating that is applied at the factory when the oven was built.

• LandlightS

Hate to say, but no DIY appliance paint kit is worth the money. Professional electrostatic painting is the only finish that acts like the original finish. Cost to do a dishwasher front panel from white to black was $ 200.00 done in the house. If I wanted to go thru taking the panel off I would have saved 50.00. In Marietta you can contact Electr Painting & Refinishing at 770-423-9599 Kathy, I'm sure if you call them, they should be able to recommend someone in your area that can help you out. It is a small industry and I'm sure he has contacts. Gary

• Patty M

I had it done to my counter tops, over door, stove & fridge. They used Marine paint. It was the best money I could have spent until I could afford my big kitchen re-do. The ONLY problem at all was around the burners that got the most heat/use/cleaning, didn't have as much shine as all the rest. It is something I would definitely do again!

• Patty M

*Oven door

• Kathy K

Well I decided to go the least expensive route to try it out. I used roll on rustoleum appliance epoxy. It looks beautiful! the finish looks like new. I used a foam roller and put on three coats. So far so good. We will see how durable it is in time.

• 3po3

That's great to hear. I haven't heard good reviews before, so it's good to get another perspective.

• Rose

Hi Kathy, I am trying to do the same to my oven, changing the harvest gold to black. I am wondering if yours stood up to the test of time. I have rustoleum high-heat spray paint for barbecues and ovens. My oven is sitting outside in its new black coat right now, and it looks great but I'm worried that it will scratch easily as we bring it inside and when we clean it in the future...