DIY Bathroom Shelf for a Razor and Beard Trimmer #Bathroom #DIYgifts

$5

I cannot stand the look of clutter on counter tops. It's one of those pet peeves I have. And my husband doesn't mind it (if he doesn't know where something goes, he just leaves it out). I've taken care of the kitchen counter top pretty well, but our master bathroom is another story. Mostly because we have my stuff and my husband's stuff. I would love to put some of it into a drawer but some of it can't go into drawers because they are messy (like the after shave and cream). So instead of having them on the counter, I made a little shelf where he can put them onto and it looks a little more organized and less cluttered. This is also a great gift idea for your man :).
Here is his side of the vanity. It's not horrible but it get really annoying when I have to plug in my curling iron and there is no room on the counter to put it.
For the shelf, I cut two boards the same length and then cut a square dowel the same length.
On the back piece of wood, I drilled holes to screw some dowels into the board.
I then nailed the two boards together and glued the dowel onto the it.
Then I painted it a pretty aqua :).
I put it onto the wall and put his shaving stuff onto it. The dowels are perfect for holding up his razor and accessories.
This is a great solution if you don't have a lot of storage space, either on the counter or in the drawers. It's super easy to make (I did it 100% myself). If you don't need the dowels, you can leave those out and just have a little shelf for toiletries. Make sure to check out my blog post for all the dimensions and step by step instructions.

Kaysi Gardner

• Margarita

No question, just wanted to thank you for sharing such a great idea. You are smart.

• Mischel

Love this, but how do you train him to use the shelf? I had a tower cabinet installed between the his and her sinks and he still leaves everything out!!

• Kaysi Gardner

@Mischel it takes time, and mostly me just putting it up there for him ;)

• Dee

I have a funny for you. When i ask my hubby to unload the dishwasher I came out and the dishes are on the counter. Drives me crazy so i ask why did you leave the dishes on the counter Put them up . I don,t know where they go.(Really)? When you need a dish you know where they are and then lose your mind when it comes to putting them away.LOL. He also washes the counters down and every thing is moved to one end of the counter,Don,t know where you had things.

• Wanda sinnema

@Dee that one is genetic,,, I think all men do that.. just like the junk drawer.. they can never find something in it, yell at us "its not here".. We stop what you are doing and get a step or two from the drawer and then magically "I FOUND IT" LOVE'EM anyway tho..

• Kaysi Gardner

@Dee haha, mine does that too!! It drives me crazy

• Susan Williams Pernot

@Dee LOL me too I get so angry with him

• Dee

I think when they do not want to do it then they do it half a- -

• Dee

@Wanda sinnema I hear you he can never find anything . i go get it for him. Its like try to put it up then it would not be lost. Right

• Marie

HA, men. Can't live with 'em and can't kill 'em!!!

• Sylvia Burcham Douglass

It's called "job security" they have to keep us because they can't find stuff.

• Lyn Therese

I always ask my husband..."Did you just move here?"......Same argument, different days always...... !@#$%!

• MM

That is so funny, Dee! Both my 20 yr old daughter and my husband stand in front of an open cupboard or fridge and say, "It's not there." I come up and move 'one' item out of the way and there it is!

• B

I thought it was just a MAN thing. lol

• Karen V

Can you share ideas for kitchen counter?

• Bet

May I know how you place the shelf on the wall? The wall in my bathroom is tiled and I would like to avoid drilling a hole in it. Thank you.

• Jill Ron Pike

@Bet Command picture hangers work nicely on clean tile. Just be sure surface is cleaned well (I use rubbing alcohol) and completely dry before using.

• Christy bellinger

Cute idea. I might just try it!! I can't stand the clutter on my bathroom counter either.

• Marianne Bailey

they have command velcro.. its better than the command hangers

• Margaret

The velcro has weights listed on them like some hold 4 lbs and some 16lb. I hung curtains with 16

• Jana

Try Sugru!

• Charly

What is sugru?
  • Rita hearn

How do you clear kitchen worktops

• Kaysi Gardner

@Rita hearn I have more space in my cabinets in my kitchen, so I put them in there

• Mici S

Cool ide. How did you attach it to the wall ?

• Karen Coltharp McGinnis

It would be helpful to see a zoomed out photo of the shelf mounted in the bathroom and exactly where you put it. Thanks,

• Kaysi Gardner

Karen if you head over to my blog post I have a very detailed tutorial with lots more pictures on how I made it.

• Cheryl Langford Cochran

In the cluttered pic there is the plug.It was mounted to the left of it.

• Susan

she simply pulled stuff from counter and lifted it to wall.

, you can see the plug and in other pics it s on the left wall
    • Gail

I agree it would have been nice to have shown the Full effect and not require everyone to leave the site to go to another to see it.

• Linda H.

I went to the site and still did not see a picture that shows the full effect of the area with the shelf.
    • Debbie Gaeth Grigsby

I went to the blog and did not see a picture of the whole area either. My master bathroom is similar (I think) but I can't tell if you have another sink.
    • Kim Kelly-Kline

I have to agree w/ Gail. Hate to have to go to someone's blog just to get the ,'rest of the story'...lol Very frustrating. Very cute project though!

• Big13452897

What did you do with your stuff that was on the counter

• Susan

LOOK at the pictures. AND she has a link for her blog with more detail. Some things remain, and obviously, she moved some. The pictures are just to show you how it works!

• Big13452897

Thanks Susan.

• Carol

Did you put some kind of seal on it?

• Shawna Bailey

That's a great idea especially for something that'll be in a wet environment.

• Jewellmartin

Right, it needs a seal. I put a few disposable makeup sponges in the bottom of the mug my husband keeps his toothbrush and toothpaste in. He always puts them away wet. Then when I am cleaning, I can toss the used paper sponges, rinse and dry the mug, and put in new sponges. I also wash and dry his toothbrush and toothpaste tube to get rid of the dried, caked-on toothpaste. You could use some folded up paper towel or tissue in the bottom. So for this shaving shelf, which I love, I would have to both seal the shelf, and line it with a paper towel. Best wishes!
    • Ronni

The sponges in the toothbrush mug is a terrific idea. And so simple. Thank you.
    • Grace Merrells

Its painted, therefore it is sealed. Great idea but I think I would screw the dowel rods on for strength. Just imagining the shaver falling and having to be replaced.
      I don't have enough wall space for this but it's a really easy idea, thanks!
    • Glo23345606

This would be really cute covered in 1" tiles.
  • K-Nix Snellgrove

what are the dimensions? That shelf looks like the perfect size for what I need. Please advise what dimension wood you used.
  • Jdt16969283

How did you hang it ??

• Ingrid N John Gallagher

I love the time countertops...did you do these? If so...would you offer a tutorial?
  • Rebecca Simmons Gray

I like it. Thanks for sharing. What did you use to get it to stay on the wall? I can drill into mine, so I was wondering if you did that, or used a source of magnet.
  • Tina

I like the shelf idea. I have unrelated question. I have the same large tiles on my kitchen countertops and really want to update. I have searched Pinterest with no luck. Have you ever seen these updated without tearing up and starting over? Thanks
  • Maryann Lindner

how did you do so much tallent?

• Laura Catherine Mercado

I have a mirror that stretches all the way across......double sided tape?
    • Kaysi Gardner

I would use the commands strips they are stronger and won’t do damage to the mirror
    • Mindy Boughamer

Use 4 small suction cups one on each corner so it is balanced. Also then you can move it to clean the mirror or to place it in another spot.
    • JudyH

All the way across what? If it is a bathroom mirror that spans a double sink vanity then it is VERY heavy! You need a professional install with a specific adheasive.

• Jo Moody

Mirror stores sell a special adhesive for mirrors. The silver will tarnish if you use the wrong stuff. I know.

• Rogea

Maybe cooking oil on suction cup holder shelves from a building or housewares department would look okay?

• Rogea

WD-40 and a razor blade scraper removes old adhesive from mirrors without scratching. Follow with rubbing alcohol and paper towels to remove the WD-40.

• Evelyn Church.

We are home now. After a gruelling flight home. When we realized it was urgent that we get home, we arranged 1st of all to get out of Fiji, we had 1 hour to pack and be ready in the lobby to get to the airport. After a 2 hour ride with another couple in a van we made it on time. We had no trouble getting out of Fiji & fly to L.A. (a 9hour flight, then we ran into a snag. Since our passage was booked for 4 days down the road, they wanted us to fly out March