Karrah @ Mrs Do It Herself
Karrah @ Mrs Do It Herself
  • Henryville, IN

Paint Your Bathtub!

Paint a tub? Sounds crazy, right?
Well, I did it!
paint your bathtub, bathroom ideas, home maintenance repairs, how to
I used Rustoleum Tub and Tile to resurface the tub. It's a two part epoxy that you paint on the surface of the tub, but before you get to that part, there is a ton of prep work that you have to do.
Here's a list of materials:
*Rustoleum Tub and Tile
*Patching Compound if you have chips or cracks, I used Bondo.
*Bleach
*Comet
*Lime-A-Way
* grit wet/dry sandpaper
*Respirator - not just a mask, you need a full blown respirator, because... the fumes are awful!
*Foam roller/ paint tray
*Foam craft paint brush
*Small bucket
The tub at the flip house had chips all in the surface.
Step 1: Fix any chips/cracks
Step 2: Follow the cleaning steps on the box...Exactly!
Don't skip any steps, you need each one to make sure that the epoxy adheres the way it should.
Step 3: Put on your mask and let's paint!
Ventilate, ventilate, ventilate! Turn on fans, open windows... anything you can do. I also wouldn't want any kiddos or pets in the house either, unless they are on a different floor or something.
You'll mix the 2 part epoxy together (I did this outside in case I spilled anything). The can says you can add the smaller can to the bigger one, but there isn't much room to stir if you do that. So I used a small bucket and poured my 2 parts in there.
First, I went around all of the faucets, soap dish, outside walls, etc with a small foam brush. I decided to do the tile as well even though it was white already. I wanted the tub and the tile to be the exact same color. No need to worry about the grout around the tile, you just epoxy that too!
The box says you can use a sprayer to apply the epoxy, which would probably give it an awesome finish... but how would you make sure you didn't get it all over the walls? Too much room for error there, so after cutting in with my craft brush, I used a high density 4 foam roller.
Here's how my tub looked after 1 coat. You can still see the Bondo peeking through. Honestly, I was a bit nervous here because it didn't really look good at all.
The 2nd coat really did wonders and if I didn't have that red Bondo underneath where I had to fix the chips, I would have been good here. I came back the next day and applied a 3rd coat with my 2nd box of the epoxy.
Be sure to let the epoxy dry for 3 days before running any water in there.
Here it is:
So, do you have a tub or tile that needs a face-lift?
Want to see more details and some REALLY important things I learned? Check out my post in the link below! I also give links to the products and the best places I found to purchase them!
Karrah @ Mrs Do It Herself

• Linda derks

Did you use polyurethane after you painted?

• Sherrie Leonhardt

I have a tub that has the 3 piece surround wall. Its not tile. To be honest I don't know what it's made of. It's like in a mobile home. Can it be painted ? If so with what type of paint ? Or can tile be laid on top of it ? Thanks so much 💖

• Charitie Drye

I'm not sure about the painting part of your question, but as to what it is made of is probably some type of fiberglass.

• Brenda Wall

Will it work for fiberglass tub ?

• Peggy Riggles

The box says it will. I'm planning on doing mine this week. I'll let you know how it goes!

• GoddessOdd

resurfaced tubs need special care too... no abrasive cleaners, no acidic cleaners which can dull the shine over time, no bathmats or tub liners, which will damage the finish if it has suction cups (most of them do) or damage it if it's just in there too long, causing the surface to wear unevenly. Even professionally applied epoxy is a kind of delicate surface, and probably not for a busy bathtub, especially one used by children, who drop things and play with all kind of things in the tub. You did a really great job on it, though, and it does look like new. Please let us know how it holds up.
  • Keb33044210

I did mine with rustoleum appliance paint. Worked great and at 4 bucks a can it saved tons of money and time!