Sherrie S
Sherrie S
  • Debary, FL
Asked on Dec 27, 2011

orchid blooming in December

Sherrie SExterior designs and renovationsMike and Anne
+10

The weather is beautiful now. Pretty soon I think I will have to hang all of my orchids in my sunroom. I think I need a greenhouse.
q orchid blooming in december, gardening
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Beautiful picture Sherrie. What type is that one?

• Sherrie S

I wish I knew the names but I have so many I don't have time to study. The only care they get is shade hanging in the trees & the secret ingredient is fish poop from my Koi pond. Polite people call it fish emulsion.

• Very beautiful, Orchids are exotic flowers and will make any sun room look out of the worlds. Is it unusual for them to bloom in December?

• Lin R

So beautiful....God does awesome work doesn't he!

That is a stunning orchid, Sherrie. How low do you let temps go before you move them inside?

• Sherrie S

Thank you Yamini, Lin and Douglas. When temps go below 50 I bring them in. I have a room full and many have buds. When a few more open I will send another picture.

• Faidra at CA Global Inc

Lovely, one of my favorite flowers. I always give as gifts!

• Mike and Anne

One of the tricks I learned when we grew our orchids outside in the summer and brought them into the sunroom for the winter was to set the plants on top of a layer of gravel in a tray. We filled the tray with water so the plants could get the humidity they needed to bloom well. Now we have a greenhouse with an automatic misting system. With the old system the plants got a shower once a month as well. The pots were "stuffed" in the shower stall and the warm water turned on for a few minutes to wash off the foliage and water the plants well.

• Sherrie S

Oh Mike & Ann I want a greenhouse so I will search the internet to find what I need. Then I will come back to Hometalk and get a lot of help from wonderful knowledgeable people like you. I wish Hometalk had been here a long time ago but I am happy it is here now. I have too many orchids to move them in when it is cold and out when it is nice but that is how it is done. Taking care of dogs, fish, flowers, plants, wildlife is a big job. However, each one in its own way makes me very happy.

• Sherrie S

Yamini, I am sorry I did not answer your question re: blooming time. I can't tell you blooming times of any of my orchids. All I know is I have different varieties that provide blooms all year long. Some repeat. I can tell you I make sure it is not too cold for the orchids (below 50 degrees). I hang them in shade trees in the warm months & water them with fish poop (fish emulsion) from my Koi pond. I would give you fish emulsion if you lived here but you can buy it on the internet.

• Sherrie S

One other thing about this plant - It has the most beautiful exotic smell. I have several orchids like it that are different colors. This one is hanging in my home office.

• wow i smelled on that looked just like this one today

• Sherrie S

The one to the left of this posting also is beautiful & has the exotic smell. Some orchids are just beautiful.