How to Paint Upholstery, and Keep the Fabric Soft, Even Velvet!

I didn't think it was possible to paint upholstery, especially velvet with out changing the fabric texture. Find out how I transformed a $20 thrift store sofa into an Anthropologie like knock-off with one quart of paint and water!
For best results use a soft chalk based paint. Paints that don't contain latex or acrylic work best... but this will work with almost any brand of paint.
Transform velvet upholstery with paint and water!
You can easily change the color of drab out dated fabric into something beautiful soft and luxurious!
I found this sofa at my local thrift store for $20
Water your paint down, I used a ratio of one part paint, 3 parts water
Work in small sections, use a spay bottle to saturate the fabric before adding paint.
Use a sanding sponge. The sanding sponge will help you get even coverage and prevent a tie dyed look.
to keep the original texture of the fabric, you want to work the paint into the fibers, so that the paint sinks in and works like a dye. If your paint sits on the top you will change the fabric and it will feel like a pleather or outdoor fabric.
Watch this quick video to see this process, i included lots of close ups for the skeptics and more info to help you achieve success. it's kind of unbelievably simple, the results are beautiful!
I used less than one quart of paint. For more details and answer to most commonly asked questions, read my blog post. The paint doesn't rub off, crack or feel stiff
I used about 80% of this quart sized container. Bohemian Blue is the color, it is sold nation wide in small boutiques. to find this paint in your area or to sell it in your shop click the link to my blog post below. I answer lot of question that are here in the comments, like does the paint rub off, how does it smell, can you paint other fabric types and more!

30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Everything Red For Canada Day
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Debi Beard

• Sara O'Brien

Will the paint cover any stains that might be in the furniture?

• CrossRoad

what is a sanding sponge?

• DJ

I bought an antique chair that the fabric had been painted a light pink..I want to paint it a bright color. Is it possible to paint over the paint? If so do I need to sand it first to soften it?I have never done this..so I'm lost and I don't want to mess it up.help!

• Malika Bengston

I love your idea Thank you very much.

• Cutthroat Charity

Thank you so much!!! I love the idea of painting furniture, but I'm not a fan of leather or the feel of leather, so I've kept looking for other ideas. Thanks to your clear tutorial, I'm finally going to follow your advice & give my ugly colored but otherwise awesome couch a much needed update!