Zee
Zee
  • Burleson, TX

BARN QUILT BEAUTY

When we first contemplating building another barn at Hawk's Creek, I knew I wanted to have a barn quilt on the entry wall. These quilts are well known in the Mid-West, where I grew up. Not so much here in Texas.
PERFECTION
This is the finished project beautifully hand painted by our talented son. Pictures following will show the process he used.
FINISHED WALL.
Ruby Lou looks aloof but I think the finished wall is just what we wanted.
BLANK CANVAS
Start with a high grade heavy 4x4 piece of plywood. You can use a larger piece, but for our project we chose a 4x4.
After drawing the design with pencil, tape off first areas to be painted.
TAKING SHAPE
Remove tape after paint has dried. Re tape next section and keep doing this until design is complete.
ALMOST DONE
This process takes some days as you want paint to be completely dry before moving on to next section.
DONE EXCEPT FOR FRAME
After painting color add several coats of clear coat. We used Helmsman's Spar Varathane. Since we used outdoor water based color, we had to use a water based clear coat.
FRAME
Tape once again after frame is added. We painted the frame and added clear coat to it also. We wanted a simple frame to finish our quilt. Some people do not add a frame.
RIGHT ANGLE
We decided to hang our quilt at an angle. We liked this better. We will do another piece for the front of the barn. This next project will be an Indian blanket design.

Zee

• Dorothy Horner Smith

where do you get your patterns from.?

• Zee

@Dorothy Horner Smith ..I have a qulter friend and she loaned me some of her many quilting pattern books. The internet is also a good source.

• Duv310660

You are obviously The Queen at masking and painting and NOT getting paint bleeding and/or peeling under your tape! Although I have many talents, this is NOT one of them. I've tried frog tape; someone said to try wetting the top and burnishing it down; I've heard of using electrical tape; PLEASE what is your technique??? BTW I was California born and raised, and a quilt on a barn makes Perfect Sense to me!

• Zee

@Duval.26 Too funny. I think the trick is to go lightly around the tape, making sure the tape is securing fixed. More light coats are better than thick ones.

• Jill Dermer

Love this idea! Looks great!

• Heje

This is a big inspiration for me to use for our family farm. Thanks for the pictures and the steps to use.