Lin R
Lin R
  • Spring Hill, TN
Asked on Dec 28, 2011

Lucky Bamboo Plant Not So Lucky Anymore

SheilaShrubs.comMeri CLin R
+3

My lucky bamboo leaves are turning yellow and dying and one of the stems down in the rocks and water is black. I have had it for several years and water it once a week and keep in the window of my kitchen. Any ideas what might be the problem? I use filtered water as an FYI.
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

If it has been in the same spot for several years I don't think it would be an issue with your light source. Sounds like you have root rot. To try to save the luck bamboo, remove it from the pot, wash the roots thoroughly under running water. Try to get all the dead nasty rottie stuff off. You might need to get a pair sharp scissors to remove the rotted parts of the plant and roots. Clean the pot with a mild 1/16th clorox to water mix. Rinse twice, then again to make sure you get all the clorox residue out of the pot. Let it dry throughly before reusing. If you want to reuse the rocks wash them as well. If they are porus do not use the clorox mix, and it might be better to toss and get some clean fresh rocks. Good luck with your lucky Bamboo! Sometimes when they have gone as far as to turn yellow up the stem, it may not make it. But you will never know unless to attempt to save it!

• Lin R

Thanks so much Four Seasons. It is just a small plant, but hate to just throw it away if it still has some life left in it. I will try your suggestions.

• Faidra at CA Global Inc

This happened to several stems of my bamboo also, I did exactly the above and the others seem better.

• Lin R

Thank you Faidra.

• Meri C

Could need food. I keep my bamboo in a pot too small for its roots... I've heard they like to be root bound. Also, I keep it WET! Or, it gets brown leaves. Be sure to water it when the soil starts to look kinda dry. Also, leaves could use a good cleaning... get all the dust off so they can "breathe"! Like us, they can't breathe if they're all clogged up. Filtered water doesn't always work with plants. It could be that it filters out the good nutrients the plant needs. Give it some plant food (I always just use miraclegro and that seems to work just fine.)

• SheilaShrubs.com

Bamboo plants don't like a lot of direct sunlight so if you've moved it recently, that could be an issue. Likewise, if you've changed anything with regards to the water source, you might want to revisit. If using tap water, it is best to let it sit for 24 hours before adding it to the bamboo container.