Beverly P
Beverly P
  • Sterling Heights, MI
Asked on Mar 17, 2013

Hanging basket Strawberry plants

360 Sod (Donna Dixson)Beverly P

Have any on you folks ever grown strawberry's in hanging baskets, and if so how did they do? I am going to try it this year, I have a late blooming variety. Also, what do you do with them in the winter? I am in zone 5, do I take them out and bring them in the basement for the winter, leave them out in baskets? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you all.
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Yes you can grow them in baskets. Make sure you have good drainage, and a good water source. I would mulch the strawberry basket on top. If you have a daylight basement it would probably be a good idea to take them in during winter, as they will be above ground and subject to freezing the roots in the baskets.

• Beverly P

Thank you so much for the info, wish me good luck!

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

You are welcome, let us know how it turns out, but I am a thinking you will have a strawberry pie or jam pictures next!