Patina Paradise
Patina Paradise
  • Cullman, AL

Oatmeal Container & Old Hymnal Become Gift Box

$.25

I love to think outside the box, even when it comes to gift wrapping. My blogging friends and I challenged one another to come up with some creative repurpose gift wrap and container ideas. So I gathered an oatmeal container and some pages from an old hymnal get together to make a beautiful container for a special gift. I'm sure you will be surprised and inspired by what we have come up with...
repurpose oatmeal container gift box christmas, christmas decorations, crafts, decoupage, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
I love the patina that old books get with time and I was so happy to be able to finally use them on this project.
A humble oatmeal container is a great item to repurpose for a gift. It's large enough for a piece of clothing, slippers, or even cookies or other goodies. It is food safe, and it is sturdy. So the next time you have one on hand don't throw it out once it's empty!
The hymnals were a garage sale find for 25 cents each.
Because I wanted the title of the songs to be visible, I began by adding cut pieces of pages to the top rim and then the full pages on top of that. I brushed on Mod Podge but you could use white glue.
For the top I added another page cut to fit the circular shape of the lid. I added some tinsel style ribbon and a small frame for a tag.
I found this image on Pinterest that I fell in love with. It is a free pdf for woodcutters. The link is on the blog post.
Carefully add glue or mod podge to the back of the cutout and add it to the page that you want (I forgot to flip it over and it ended up flipping vertically, but it still looks great).
If you don't have a cutting machine you could print it out and cut out the outside shape of it and color in the negative parts black. I also added some wide crocheted ribbon to the top edge with double sided tape, just high enough so that it wouldn' t cover the song title.
I really am pleased with the way it turned out. And I love that in this case the gift container is also the gift and that it cost next to nothing to make it! And that this way the fragile pages of an old hymnal have the opportunity to have to a new life and be enjoyed in a new way. I hope I have inspired you to think outside the box! ;o)
Patina Paradise

• Madeline Swacil

Did you put the lid back on after or before adding the silver glitter trim? Can you use this box to keep small Xmas decorations inside it? Or do cutouts around the Navitiy scene , put a small micro light Led set that automatically turns on and off? Thanks

• Lucy Burton

I'm saving your idea for that special gift. Really nice.

• Cris Cummings

I love that you used a hymnal! We use hymnals for lots of projects. If someone does not "go to church" this is a way we might plant that small seed.

Thanks so much!