Old Man Winter is officially here & making his way all over the nation.

We bring out blankets from the attic/ storage to stay warm and often neglect winterizing outdoor plants. Bring container plants inside. Wrap flowering shrubs with burlap or build an "A" frame to ptotect the leaves. Spread a layer or 2 of mulch at the base of the plants to help insulate, control water and temperature. Stake around your shrubs & other plants, that cant withstand severly cold weather, winds or frost, with burlap or landscape fabric.

• Pam Y

It's sad for me to say this but my poinsettia didn't make it. My problem, I believe is I water too much. The same plants still at church are still alive. There getting next to no light and there hardly watered. So it's made me to believe I over watered mine. Will I buy them again next year probably because I love them over the holidays. I do however have a crown of thorns getting ready to flower. That plant don't like to be water either so I've been staying away from it.

Don't be too hard on yourself, Pam. It's really a challenge to keep poinsettias alive indoors, and the chances that the ones at your church will actually make it to next Christmas and turn red again are almost nil. Overwatering is problem the No. 1 cause of indoor plant trouble. Good luck with your crown of thorns.