Round table upcycled to a wall clock

$40
I got a round table without legs from a lady and I remembered I clipped this idea of a table turned into a clock. I bought a battery operated high torque clock movement and turned the table into a wall clock. I made the stencils for the roman numerals because it was easier and less work than the regular numbers. I downloaded the numbers from the internet and printed them on a plastic paper used for scrap booking.
I have so much wall space I needed something large. I got tired of the mirror leaning against the wall. There is an electrical outlet over the fireplace for a TV but we would never put a TV over the fireplace. We like the fireplace as it is and we don't want the TV to distract. The clock was a perfect solution and it is up and we don't have to go to the stove in the kitchen to check the time.
The table before. It came in 2 pieces without legs. I removed the hinges from the back that enabled the table top to be folded.
I turned the hinge hardware that folded the table and used them to secure the two sides straight. On the front I used wood finish and putty to smooth out the space. When it was dry I sanded it with sand paper by hand.
I chiseled out the space for the clock. The wood was so hard that even the hole cutter didn't roch it. I used an old screwdriver and a hammer. Then I primed the table.
I used paint I already had. I painted 2 coats. I tried to distress the finish with sand paper but I didn't like how it looked so I repainted it and distressed only the edges.
The finished clock. I painted on 2 coats of polyurethane for medium shine.
I added a lace detail to the ends of the hands because there was enough room to balance the long hands and the large surface of the clock.
The lace detail is made of a cake doily, painted with latex paint to keep it firm, and taped on the hands with scotch tape from the back.

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

2 of 10 comments
Next