An Authentic DIY “Coffee Table”/Storage Ottoman

With the holidays coming, I wanted a handy place to store the pillows and blankets we use in the family room (OR a quick place to stash everything when someone drops by, lol). I thought a large storage ottoman would be a perfect solution and had intended to make a solid navy blue ottoman with nailhead trim…until… We stumbled upon a pile of these jute/burlap coffee sacks in a hardware store. They were a bargain at 50 cents each.
As soon as I saw the stripes on those bags, I knew I was going to make something different than what I’d planned. First, I found some great tutorials on how to make tufted cushions, combined many of the tips and tricks, and—using a 45” square piece of plywood and navy fabric--learned the secret to making an oversized tufted top:
Next, I built a box for the base...
Covered the base with batting and cotton fabric:
And those coffee sacks? I sliced them open and covered each of the sides to feature the stripes and stamped product info.
I added pre-finished furniture legs, lined the box, and attached the top with piano and safety hinges.
Now we have great additional storage in the family room and a VERY authentic “coffee table”.
DIY Coffee Table
All the details and step by step photos on both the tufted top and building the box are posted on DustandDoghair.com.

3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
EmDirr @ DustandDoghair.com