An Authentic DIY “Coffee Table”/Storage Ottoman

With the holidays coming, I wanted a handy place to store the pillows and blankets we use in the family room (OR a quick place to stash everything when someone drops by, lol). I thought a large storage ottoman would be a perfect solution and had intended to make a solid navy blue ottoman with nailhead trim…until… We stumbled upon a pile of these jute/burlap coffee sacks in a hardware store. They were a bargain at 50 cents each.
As soon as I saw the stripes on those bags, I knew I was going to make something different than what I’d planned. First, I found some great tutorials on how to make tufted cushions, combined many of the tips and tricks, and—using a 45” square piece of plywood and navy fabric--learned the secret to making an oversized tufted top:
Next, I built a box for the base...
Covered the base with batting and cotton fabric:
And those coffee sacks? I sliced them open and covered each of the sides to feature the stripes and stamped product info.
I added pre-finished furniture legs, lined the box, and attached the top with piano and safety hinges.
Now we have great additional storage in the family room and a VERY authentic “coffee table”.
DIY Coffee Table
All the details and step by step photos on both the tufted top and building the box are posted on DustandDoghair.com.

EmDirr @ DustandDoghair.com