FRED
FRED
  • Timberlake, NC
Asked on Dec 29, 2011

What trees are the best to plant which provide the best fall colors?

Kincaid99Gerald SkipperDavid S
+7

I will be planting trees in approx. 5 months. I like the trees in the Blue Ridge Mountain areas with all of their different colors. I want these same colors in my yard!
  • MJN & Associates Interiors

My favorite is the sugar maple. They have the most beautiful orange color.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Red Maples, Sourwood, Tulip Poplar, Scarlet Oak.....how much room did you say you have?

I'll cast another vote for the sourwood (Oxydendron arboreum). And with it you get fragrant white flowers in the spring as well. I'm always looking for multiple seasons of interest with my plant selections.

• Erica Glasener

I would go with sourwood, also tupelo (Nyssa sylvatica), red maple, sugar maple red oaks.

• Deborah C

I like sugar maple, sourwood, ginko, and sassafras just to name a few.

• Mike and Anne

Ginko is a lovely yellow - but get a male plant. The flower on the female plant has an overpowering odor. The leaves fall in one day. They just drop to the ground in a matter of an hour or so. American hornbeam and sugar maple are good orange colors. The gum trees in the mountains are a beautiful red but so is the sourwood. The American persimmon is also a good red foliage plant - and good to eat as well.

• Deborah C

Yeah, I should have said male only for the ginko. I do love their fall color and distinct leaf.

• David S

MY FAVORITES ARE IN THE MAPLE FAMILY .......OCTOBER GLORY AND RED SUNSET . I'VE GOT AN OCTOBER GLORY IN MY FRONT YARD THAT DUE TO THE PROPER WEATHER CONDITIONS WAS BEAUTIFUL THIS PAST FALL .

• Gerald Skipper

Anything in the maple family.A friend has a large red maple.Every fall the cars are lined up along the street to take pictures. We live in northwest Florida!

• Kincaid99

Chinese red Maple is beautiful all seasons, green, red and purple or pink, but then you cannot beat a Maple or beautiful colors.