Glenda Marks
Glenda Marks
  • Silverhill, AL

A Beachside Kitchen Backsplash

About a year ago I started reserching reasonable, beachy, rustic backsplashes to go with our rubber tree butcher block counter top and espresso color cabinets. What I found was $300+ in the tile arena and about the same in metal (and that was just the backsplash!).
While lumbering (lol) around in the lumber section of Lowes, I came up with this idea for shiplap..... since we are only 12 miles from the Gulf of Mexico!
I put handy hubby to work after pleading my case for the backsplash and declaring that I would be the non whinning gofer during the job.
2x10s in Pine were purchased and cut at various lengths so that no board end was in a straight vertical line with the one above or below it. Each was nailed directly into the drywall and studding.
It took some time, but we weren't in a hurry. We did not use furring strips behind the shiplap. If there was a loose spot we just nailed into the board above or below it. A pneumatic brad nailer sure helped to make this job easier.
Once all the boards were up we measured Pine 1/4 round to seal the cracks between the countertop and the shiplap, and the ceiling and the shiplap. We live in a classic 1960s ranch that has seen a few hurricanes and nothing is level or even!
Total cost was $75 which covered 24 linear feet by 3.5 ft or more (around areas taller than regular backsplash areas) AND the kitchen entry doorway. This does not include the nails for the nailer....but I don't think they were very expensive.
So.....what cha think ? I L O V E, love, love it ! And, I still have money to spend on another upcoming project.....
Outdoor shower
Screened porch
Pondside tiki hut
Floating dock.....
Woo hoo....it's going to be a good year !
kitchen backsplash shiplap beachside inspired, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design
BEFORE.
Behind range area. Bland.
BEFORE
Corner area bland.
BEFORE
Sink area....bland
BEFORE
Kitchen entry....bland.
AFTER
Range area.
AFTER
Sink run.
AFTER
Kitchen entry doorway.

• Judybwest

Do you sill it with anything? Like polyruathan
  • Gabby

Looks great! Did you waterproof it any way?
  • Diane

I love it! I think you did a great job! Did you ever give s total cost for this project?

• Als33315341

I m sure you would have to seal this. I would before putting it on the wall. Be sure it is totally dry. May take two applications if you cook and clean alot of real meals.

• Judy Ellison

I love this look! I have done this on my fireplace and on the wall of my front porch. They are so easy to work with and the price is even better!