Robyn
Robyn
  • Phoenix, AZ
Asked on Mar 18, 2013

Banana Peels in Hummingbird Garden?

KMS WoodworksRobynLorraine F
+2

I read today about a tip to put out overripe banana peels in your hummingbird garden to attract bugs for the birds to eat. This sounds like a mess! Has anyone done it? Is it a swarming bugfest that tries to get into your house? Calm me down...I may want to try this....Anyone given this a try?

Putting out banana peels and overripe fruit gets the seal of approval from Texas A&M, Robyn. The point is to attract fruit flies, which provide important protein for the hummingbird's diet, so you may not want to put them right outside your back door.

• Lorraine F

I've read this before and plan to try it this year too!

• KMS Woodworks

maybe in "compost" type pile off in the side of the yard somewhere. http://www.wildbirdsonline.com/articles_hummingbirds_eating_insects.html consider the feeders the "bar" and the compost pile the "dinning room"

• Robyn

Wow everyone you are so helpful, thank you so much. I will definitely try this. And that was a great article in the link! I will save that. So, if the feeder is the bar and the compost pile is the dining room, then I am the chief cook and bottle washer, which I already suspected ;).

• KMS Woodworks

At least you do not have to be "bus boy" too.