Lindsay Eidahl
Lindsay Eidahl
  • Cedar Rapids, IA

Kitchen Island Makeover

We are in the middle of a kitchen makeover. We are coming to the end and I have posted all about the changes we are making to it. We are doing all of the projects on our own to save money on labor. I don't even recognize this kitchen anymore! The island was one of the things I was super excited to change.
kitchen island makeover, diy, kitchen design, kitchen island
The picture above shows the kitchen before the makeover.
The island was pretty basic so I wanted to change it up. The first thing we did was add wainscotting on the outside of it.
Then, to go with the new color scheme of the cabinets, floor and countertops, I painted the island a charcoal gray color.
We added these amazing corbels from Osborne Wood.
I stained them a dark color to match the beam in the ceiling and the new laminate floors. I love the combination of wood tones with grays. So pretty.
Now we have a grown up island!!!
You can see the entire island makeover on my post here:
Lindsay Eidahl

• PC Hogger

You have the same oak cabinets as I, we're you hesitant to paint them? I've thought about painting them often but can never quite decide. What type of paint did you use and did you sand them down first? Thank you in advance for replying. You've done an awesome job on your kitchen, looks great!

• Flor Onate

@PC Hogger I painted my cabinets using"cabinet and trim paint" I did sand them just enough to get the shine off... I primed first and painted them antique white, they look so much better and made my kitchen look so bright...

• Marie Mautner

Where is the finished kitchen?

• Lindsay Eidahl

@Marie Mautner It is not done yet. I posted progress posts on my blog with the things we have completed. Still working on backsplash and then we should be done.

• Vicky

Not sure if you can even answer this one but here goes - the cabinets I have are the cheap ones that the previous owner put in. I'm pretty sure they are more like particle board or some other type of cheap material. I'm wondering if there would be a major difference in how to do these. I hate them and would love to paint them but I'm so afraid because if I ruin them I have no way to replace them! Thanks if you can or even if you can't help.

• Melissa Fotheringham

Talk to your paint store. There are primers that work well for these kind of cabinets. Cleaning thoroughly is most important. Sanding lightly to take off sheen...not to put scratches, and priming. These are key. I painted formica cabinets years ago. I used an alcohol based primer. It left brush streaks because it dried so quickly. BUT that made it look like wood. We rounded the edges with a router, added irregular grooves (lining up drawers above with cabinets below), and the end result was wood-look, old-style cabinets. They lasted for years! When I sold the house, the kitchen's great "old" cabinets, painted a soft grassy green, were the main selling feature.

• Flor Onate

great job!!

• Gramcracker

Our home is only 10 yrs. old but the builder put an island in the middle of the kitchen and just left it looking like c _ _ p. So we went to Menards and purchased a 4x8 sheet of bead board and made our own crown moulding around the bottom. I painted the bead board a seafoam green and left the moulding oak color to match the rest of the kitchen....I can't find the picture, but it looks totally awesome and cost hardly nothing at all.

• Lindsay Eidahl

@Cathy Dorey That sounds so great! It is amazing what you can do with a little creativity and not a lot of money!