What should I do with this pretty, but beat-up chair?

+23
I bought this chair for $8, I couldn't pass it up. I figured I would just reupholster it and slap some chalk paint on it. Of course, as the brush touched the chair my husband decides that he doesn't think it should be painted because it's probably antique. So my question is: Am I ruining a nice chair by painting it? Is this chair worth stripping, staining, and revarnishing? That just seems like a lot of work to me and looks like it's going to be difficult. Take a look at the pictures of the condition and see what you think, thanks so much in advance!
what should i do with this pretty but beat up chair, chalk paint, painted furniture
what should i do with this pretty but beat up chair, chalk paint, painted furniture, No varnish left on this leg anymore
No varnish left on this leg anymore.
what should i do with this pretty but beat up chair, chalk paint, painted furniture, These spots did not come off with light cleaning
These spots did not come off with light cleaning.