Upcycling an Old Spa Into a Fishpond/Fountain

I wanted a Fishpond in the garden but decent size ones are really expensive -- so time for a bit more upcycling!!! I didn't take too many pics (doh!)
Edited with added night pic
I started with this Ugly as Sin spa pool, another TradeMe bargain at $20, was very heavy and had a bit of a disaster when it fell off the trailer 5km from home when a ratchet strap broke, but all the bits i needed were undamaged. Wifey wasn't impressed (more junk!!) - It takes about 1000 litres of water.
I stripped off all the fittings and blocked all the holes with expanding foam and 2 part epoxy.
Then I dug a big hole...
I put the pool in the hole and leveled it (took several attempts). If you don't get it level it will look awful. At this point I also put in electrics for the pump.
Bit of a jump now! So put wire rebar mesh over the top and bricked around it (lots of brick cutting).
I made the fountain from tiles on a wood frame and filled with expanding foam - the tiles were free end of line from a tile warehouse scrap bin.
I had the rebar and bricks left over from the house build.
The sun tile at the front was given to me by my dad who passed away shortly before I built this.
Put in a pump with UV light on it and added plants (the pots are zip tied to the rebar to allow decent growth)
I added 10 goldfish and some solar lights, and here it is finished job. (And the wife is a lot happier with it now!!)
Added a night picture - unfortunately one of the lights needs repairing, plants have grown a bit too!

• Dka27519972

Is that the recirculating pump in the middle? Is there another way to do this without it? You have done a great job with this, but the tower in the middle spoils the view, in my opinion.

• just wondering why the rebar across the top of the pond?? I have had

trouble with the neighbors dog going for a dunk but the most heart breaking was

when I came out and found my fish that were 3 years old had become snacks

to a coon.

• Lisa O'Brien

How do you replace the pump? Sometimes they stop working.

• Stephen Taylor

the pump just sits in the bottom of the spa and is attached thru the pillar via a hose, there is also a cutout in the rebar to remove the pump to clean its foam filter

• Chris

I think it looks great! If u got the money to buy a fountain, that’s great but when u can take nothing and turn it into something great all the better!

• Mercedes

Freaking Awesomeness! I cannot wait to try this out! I recycle everything and repurpose! We have trading posts and thrift/junk stores on the local highway, it shouldn’t be hard to locate a spa for this project! Thanks so much for sharing this great project!