Upcycling an Old Spa Into a Fishpond/Fountain

I wanted a Fishpond in the garden but decent size ones are really expensive -- so time for a bit more upcycling!!! I didn't take too many pics (doh!)
Edited with added night pic
I started with this Ugly as Sin spa pool, another TradeMe bargain at $20, was very heavy and had a bit of a disaster when it fell off the trailer 5km from home when a ratchet strap broke, but all the bits i needed were undamaged. Wifey wasn't impressed (more junk!!) - It takes about 1000 litres of water.
I stripped off all the fittings and blocked all the holes with expanding foam and 2 part epoxy.
Then I dug a big hole...
I put the pool in the hole and leveled it (took several attempts). If you don't get it level it will look awful. At this point I also put in electrics for the pump.
Bit of a jump now! So put wire rebar mesh over the top and bricked around it (lots of brick cutting).
I made the fountain from tiles on a wood frame and filled with expanding foam - the tiles were free end of line from a tile warehouse scrap bin.
I had the rebar and bricks left over from the house build.
The sun tile at the front was given to me by my dad who passed away shortly before I built this.
Put in a pump with UV light on it and added plants (the pots are zip tied to the rebar to allow decent growth)
I added 10 goldfish and some solar lights, and here it is finished job. (And the wife is a lot happier with it now!!)
Added a night picture - unfortunately one of the lights needs repairing, plants have grown a bit too!

Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine

• Dka27519972
    Dka27519972

Is that the recirculating pump in the middle? Is there another way to do this without it? You have done a great job with this, but the tower in the middle spoils the view, in my opinion.

• just wondering why the rebar across the top of the pond?? I have had

trouble with the neighbors dog going for a dunk but the most heart breaking was

when I came out and found my fish that were 3 years old had become snacks

to a coon.

• Lisa O'Brien
    Lisa O'Brien

How do you replace the pump? Sometimes they stop working.

• Stephen Taylor
      Stephen Taylor

the pump just sits in the bottom of the spa and is attached thru the pillar via a hose, there is also a cutout in the rebar to remove the pump to clean its foam filter

• Barbars
    Barbars

Great

• Mary
    Mary

This is a wonderful idea, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I've seen more and more of these types of projects. 20+ years ago a friend used an old satellite dish (the huge ones) as a small pond in her back yard with goldfish. One day she heard a splash and to her horror the neighbors small child had fallen in, slime had accumulated on the sides and the child being on her stomach was having difficulty getting up and nearly drowned. Her husband immediately removed it. In our area if you have a pool you need a fence, it's the law, but there is nothing mentioned about ponds or other water decorations. As most of you know children are very curious and extremely quick, had she not been standing near her kitchen window to hear the splash the child would had drowned, the parent had just turned her back for a moment, but that is all it takes. Like I said these are beautiful and I don't want to invade someone's post with gloom and doom but please be mindful of where you locate your decorations, it really only takes a split second.

• Stephen Taylor
      Stephen Taylor

No offence taken Mary, we have grandchildren and would be mortified if they came to harm, hence the pool, spa and ponds are fenced/ lockable lid/ covered with mesh, but you can't have a world risk sanitised for everything. We also have on the property a small rainwater duck pond (which is 14+ feet deep and slippery as hell as it is plastic lined ) and by NZ law this doesn't require fencing (however it is) such are the vagaries of the law (I have been caught out in it trying to recover semi drowned ducklings and had to crawl out on my hands and knees as the plastic/duck poo is like trying to stand on ice with greasy shoes!! 😂)