Marty's Musings
Marty's Musings
  • Greensboro, NC

How to Decorate a "Pretend" Mantel the Inexpensive Way!

For years I bemoaned the fact that I didn't have a fireplace in our home, thus I had no place to cuddle up with my hubby and no mantel to decorate to share my creativity and yard sale goodies.
You know, silly little insignificant problems.
how to decorate a pretend mantel the inexpensive way, christmas decorations, fireplaces mantels, seasonal holiday decor
One year I realized it was ok to just "pretend" we had a mantel. Any flat surface would do so I chose the top of our piano which was squeezed in between two bookcases in our living room.
This was back in 2012 and I had no idea what I was doing with my Christmas decor, blog or photography!
The starting place for the mantel is this $4 window I bought this summer at a yard sale. It needed some cleaning up but it's perfect for my rustic shabby chic style!
I wrapped an old strand of beads around a $2 wreath from a craft store and pushed some fresh berries among the stems
The sled is one of a package of three ornaments. I just cut off the jute for hanging and wired it onto the wreath. Easiest wreath ever!
This metal stand was up in the attic in my stash and I loaded it with a pack of filler balls and greenery and these burlap star ornaments.
When we got our Christmas tree I asked for extra branches and have used them on our deck and on this mantel so far. I do this every year to add a touch of the outdoors and because THEY'RE FREE!
Marty's Musings

• Bonnie

I love the lanterns in the photo. Where did you find those?

• DORLIS

Any ideas how to hang this on a rock fireplace? Trying to type with a cat'd tail swishing aback and forth over the keyboard. Sorry. He is chasing the mouse on the screen.

• Marilyn

Great idea, looks really nice with your accessories,love your gorgeous lanterns.Where did you get them?