Donna McCrummen
Donna McCrummen
  • Bernardsville, NJ
Asked on Dec 30, 2011

Took the plunge and splurged on Annie Sloane Chalk Paint. Working with it today.

The Empty NestDonna McCrummenBrushStrokes
+37

It goes on much nicer and has a better consistency than my home made stuff.
  • Donna, what is it that you are painting with this? Think you mentioned it before but I forget now. You are going to post pics when it is all done right?

• Wow Donna, glad you made the plunge, you should post some step by step here for all of us!!!

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Can't wait to see the finished work Donna :)

• 3po3

It will be great to have a review of this paint from a pro-grade DIY-er. Have fun with the project.

• Donna McCrummen

@Dan I have a number of projects going at this time. A vanity table, numerous side/end tables and some I can't wait to start. A china cabinet and an old secretary especially. Thanks guys. I'll post the pics for sure! I always forget to take before pics though....

• Designs by BSB

I recently learned about her paint .. can't wait to use it one day myself! I blogged about it recently and found some amazing transformations: https://designsbybsb.com/2011/12/annie-sloan-chalk-paint/

• Tammie W

I want to get some of that!! I hea its awesome!!!

• Donna McCrummen

So far so good, it dries really fast. I think I'll get the vanity done by tomorrow.

• Lin R

Excited to hear how you like it and post a pic for us if yo can Donna!

• BrushStrokes

I've painted quite a few pieces with the Annie Sloan paint. I found the paint a few months ago, loved it, became a distributor of the paint in Alpharetta, Roswell and Cumming, Georgia.

q took the plunge and splurged on annie sloane chalk paint working with it today, chalk paint, painting, Before photo of bookcaseq took the plunge and splurged on annie sloane chalk paint working with it today, chalk paint, painting, After photo of bookcase painted with Annie Sloan Versailles waxed with clear and dark distressed with 220 sandpaper It has held up beautifully in my store
  • Laura D

Easy to work with and looks great, so far wears great. Used the buffer attachment for my drill to make it go even faster and I like the shine it gives.

• Laura D

Here is a sample of the before and after of one of the pieces I did using Old White, very light dark wax applied in crevices. I think it hard to see in the pic.

q took the plunge and splurged on annie sloane chalk paint working with it today, chalk paint, painting, Beforeq took the plunge and splurged on annie sloane chalk paint working with it today, chalk paint, painting, After
  • Angela M

I'm glad you're posting about this, I have been debating about purchasing:)

• Donna McCrummen

@ Mary Anne M - Please post a link to your website. I'm nearly ready to post some pictures.

Donna, can't wait to see your pictures. I have seen some amazing transformations by other folks using that paint.

• BrushStrokes

Donna, My website is www.brushstrokesbymaryanne.com BTW, I met my husband in Bedminster, N.J.! How is everything in N.J.?

• Donna McCrummen

NO WAY what a small world. Did you live here? All is well up this way. I moved here two years ago from Arlington VA near DC - I'd rather be there with all my friends. But we make the best of it. I've been selling some of my work and that is very satisfying. Looking at your site now.

• BrushStrokes

My husband used to go to Bernardsville occasionally for work. We lived in Clinton for a couple of years then moved to Atlanta. Been here for 23 years! Have owned a decorative painting company for the last 15 years here in Atlanta. It's been alot of fun - a good way to satisfy my creative urges! Now that I am selling Annie Sloan paint, I have a renewed excitement for painting furniture. Can't get enough of it!

• The Empty Nest

Hey everyone....so happy to see new ASCP users! I am a stockist in Va and I LOVE this stuff! I have used the 'homemade' stuff and the 'real' thing....I'll take the real thing any day of the week. This paint is everything it is advertised to be. Love mixing the colors to come up with even more fabulous hues and the wonderful ways I can layer the colors is just.......well, FUN! It simply allows you be so darn creative with minimal effort. I highly recommend taking a workshop if one is offered in your area, because you can achieve so many different looks with this paint. Washes..impasto..crackle..layered...distressed..etc..etc.. Can you tell I love this product? PS...I was this passionate way before I became a stockist.

• Donna McCrummen

Hey Janet, I'm taking a workshop later this month. I can't wait.

• The Empty Nest

where??? Is it with Patty Seaman of Classic Wall Finishes?

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Thanks for introducing us to Anne Sloan Janet. You've helped our inner artist bloom with beautiful results. CP

• BrushStrokes

The workshops are great. I am teaching workshops here in Alpharetta also - Chalkpaint 101 and Advanced Chalkpaint Finishes. My website gives the details. www.brushstrokesbymaryanne.com

• The Empty Nest

@Peace Painting Co....I love that ;->

• Lin R

Janet if you use ASCP on something that is rusted do you have to sand first?

• The Empty Nest

Hello Lin.....In Annie Sloan's new book 'PAINT TRANSFORMATIONS' she has a project where she is painting a rusty metal pole lamp. She does tell you in that case to rub the surface down with coarse sandpaper to remove any loose rust of chipping paint...then she painted as usual. The paint will slow down the rusting process. Hope this helps

• Lin R

Thank you Janet. Which one of her books would you recommend for helping to use her paint?

• Donna McCrummen

Paint Transformations is a good source. So is Youtube.

• Lin R

I appreciate you taking the time to provide that information Donna.

• The Empty Nest

Yes, I agree with Donna...Paint Transformations is a wonderful book for first time users. Annie covers all the basics and shows you many cool techniques. Also if you have access to a workshop or stockist in your area..that would be very helpful. Of course I and other stockist here on Hometalk are always happy to answer questions ;->

• BrushStrokes

Yes, absolutely!

• Donna McCrummen

Just finished this side table.

q took the plunge and splurged on annie sloane chalk paint working with it today, chalk paint, painting, just finished
  • Lin R

Donna and Janet thank you for your advice. I actually went a workshop in Oct. but have lost my notebook with all my notes! I am sick about that, but will purchase the book you recommened. My memory is not as good as it once was so I need it written down. I appreciate ya'll!

• Donna McCrummen

I finished this vanity today. It was white when I picked it up at the thrift store. I painted a quick coat of AS old white, then a coat of versailles (the light green) lightly sanded to show some white through. Two coats of clear AS wax and some glass knobs.

q took the plunge and splurged on annie sloane chalk paint working with it today, chalk paint, paintingq took the plunge and splurged on annie sloane chalk paint working with it today, chalk paint, paintingq took the plunge and splurged on annie sloane chalk paint working with it today, chalk paint, painting
  • 3po3

Wow. Looks great. You do lovely work.

• BrushStrokes

Donna, That's beautiful!

• The Empty Nest

Love it Donna! Versailles is a favorite of mine...such a pretty soft green. Calm enough to blend with a neutral palette.

• The Empty Nest

For those interested...this lovely blogger, Adri, has done a brilliant job of making beautiful color charts for all of us to use. Thanks you Adri!! http://ciruelointeriors.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/extendedcoloursrange/#comments

• Donna McCrummen

Thank you all. I had fun! I can't wait to finish my next project. Oh, it's a do over. I used Old White, lightly sanded then added Dark Walnut stain. I hate hate hate it. (not to mention I spilled the stain all over the driveway). So I'll be repainting. I'm out of paint but my AS workshop is Saturday I'll be bringing enough paint back to last through a few projects since the shop is over an hour away.

• The Empty Nest

Your welcome!