Asked on Mar 21, 2013

How do I Stain or a Paint a metal back splash?

Jim JakesMary InsanaKathy Turner


I saw a project about 5 years ago that was done with a wine color but don't remember if it was stain or paint. It was big sheets they put up before the cabinets went up. The metal looked like the tin that use to be used on the outside of mobile homes. The indented square piece was about 3 x 5 feet. They took this and beat with a hammer and chain.(Macho guys) I think I can get my grandkids to beat on it.. Now next: I can't remember what they did and with what. Does anyone know how I go about that? How do I make it durable? How would I clean it afterwards? It was beautiful, looked to have just a semi-gloss finish.
4 answers
  • Mary Insana
    on Mar 21, 2013

    I think I've seen thin sheets of metal that were about 4ft x 4ft at Home Depot or Lowes. Give them a call and ask. You can rough it up and will probably have to prime it before you paint it.

  • Kathy Turner
    on Mar 22, 2013

    It looked more stained. Highs and lows so would that be a semi-transparent paint?Or did it just appear that way because of the highs and low in the distressed product? What do you think about the hammered paint by Rustoleum? Think that wold work. I use it for floor vents and love it.Would I still need something over it for durability?

  • Mary Insana
    on Mar 23, 2013

    I love the hammered spray paint too! I was on a real roll spraying almost everything in site for a while. You could probably do a chalk paint on the metal, it sticks to everything. You can distress it to get the look you want too and then wax it or do a spray poly finish for durability.

  • Jim Jakes
    on Mar 23, 2013

    I agree about the hammered paint. There are so many places to use it. Ever use wrinkle paint like the old office equipment and cash registers had?

Your comment...