Asked on Dec 31, 2011

Since carpet tiles use an adhesive will they damage laminate or hardwood floors?

Dia4764384KMS WoodworksKari
+11

• Sally, it will not damage it per se, but if you decide to remove the carpet in the future, getting rid of all the glue will be a nasty, time consuming chore.

• More so on the hardwood then the laminate. The hardwood may be harder to clean off the glue on because you cannot use some cleaners on it to dissolve the glue byproducts. With laminate the finish is harder and will resist a harder cleaning before becoming damaged. I find that people who use rubber backed carpets on wood floors have these very same issues. The rubber gets sticky and when you pull the carpet up there are large areas of stuck on rubber. But with elbow grease and some time, you will be able to remove the offending adhesive that remains after the tiles are pulled up.

• KMS Woodworks

The basic question should be why are you wanting to cover these? In the case of a laminate its cheap and disposable...and if does not look good. simply replace it....3 to 5 years is about average for a laminate before it looks crappy. If it is a real hardwood floor why not just get a big rug? we installed a large rug in our living room to provide a little bare foot warmth.

q since carpet tiles use an adhesive will they damage laminate or hardwood floors, flooring, hardwood floors, home maintenance repairs, tile flooring, tiling, rug over hardwood
  • Sally

I actually want the equivalent of a small area rug and these are often featured on HGTV as being an alternative since the individual tiles can be picked up and cleaned.

• KMS Woodworks

any carpet tile that has "adhesive" will not be able to be picked up for cleaning...stick with a basic rug

• Sticky back carpet tile are for do it your self jobs. They don't have the wear warranties that you will find with direct glue down carpet. We have some scraps left over all the time from jobs.

• Kari

I disagree with KMS. An 8x10 area rug cost me nearly $700. One Gatorade accident and it had to be thrown out. Carpet tiles, when installed with the 5 points of adhesive rather than total glue down, stay put and are very, very easy to replace. They can even be hosed off in the driveway, let to dry and replaced. With kids and dogs it is the only way for most families to have carpet. Personally I would be fine without carpet, but the kids like it in their bedrooms, and it helps with acoustics. Also, throwing out laminate flooring every 3 to 5 years is just wasteful. We have had it for 7 years and it looks like the day it was installed. No dog toenail marks or anything. It is pretty much bullet proof unless you have a flood, but hardwood can't take water, either.

• Julie landsman

I am curious about carpet tiles with 5 points of adhesive.Any suggestions welcomed! My wooden staircase has become too slipery for my elderly dog. I may want to remove the tiles someday, and not damage the wood.
  • LandlightS

An 8 X 10 rug does not have to be expensive,. As a suggestion....go to a local carpet dealer, or to one of the big box store. Search for a Frieze or a patterned carpet (or whatever catches your fancy), order a piece of carpet 8 X 12 ft (96 sf or 10.4SY) and have their installer cut the carpet to 10 ft., and have it bound on all sides. You can even have the cut piece bound and have an 2 ft X 8 ft matching runner. Binding should not run more than $2.00 per foot. So, if the carpet is $3.00 per SF, your investment for and 8X10 and a 2X8 should cost approximately $400.00 Frieze can be had in a dual multi colors and are a lot of fun as well as being the latest in carpet flooring trends Have fun, but don't use carpet tiles....it will look like an office Gary

• Sally

Thanks - I have opted for the small area rug and will get an inexpensive one. Thanks for the input!

• LandlightS

Your quite welcome....I just came across the post and didn't even notice the date of your original question.....something I can't get use to with the new hometalk. Have a nice Thanksgiving holiday Gary

• Kari

If you go with a remnant, you will need one of those under non-slip things. That's another $50+. Of course, one spilled glass of red wine or a dog accident and it's off to the dump... Flooring is such a problem. Sometimes I fantasize about installing a center drain in my playroom and high pressure washing the tile!!! Would be easy and so clean! Would also look pretty institutional...

• KMS Woodworks

Rugs do not need to be 700 bucks...you can find some more basic stuff at very reasonable rates... http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202042701&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1-1-_-NA-_-202042701-_-N#.UJ_KkuTBFJs we have a few from HD that are a bit fancier than the one above, the main one in our living room is about 8 x 10 ' and cost about 200 a few years back. I have had it now for 8 years or so and we have "washed" it a few times...something you can never do with plain carpet. We also have some antique Persian rugs in silk and wool up in the bedroom these can often be found on ebay for some good deals.

q since carpet tiles use an adhesive will they damage laminate or hardwood floors, flooring, hardwood floors, home maintenance repairs, tile flooring, tiling, the rug in the living room
  • Dia4764384

Go to eSalerugs.com. I sold fine area rugs at Macy's and there is NO other place to find quality, great prices and free returns!