Ron Anderson
Ron Anderson
  • Cary, NC
Asked on Mar 22, 2013

I am trying to find a way to connect my gate to my brick house without the weight of it pulling the 4x4 out of the house

Steve DumaineAllison RobbinsJackie Prim
+7

A few years ago, I built me a wooden gate (see pictures), and on one side, the gate was connected to a 4x4 that was connected to the side of my brick house. I used cement screws to drive in the mortar/cement between the bricks, but over time, the weight of the gate has pulled the screws out of the cement between the bricks. I have bought me a white German Shepherd pup, and now I need to get my gate back up so she won't get out of my back yard, but I've not found a good way to keep the screws in the cement. I know there are anchors to drive in, but I'm not sure what is the right type to get. I'm sure there is a correct way to mount a 4x4 to the side of a brick house. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.
This is when I first built my gate.
This is when I first built my gate.
The gap without 1/2 of my gate.  Pup can get out easily.
The gap without 1/2 of my gate. Pup can get out easily.
The gate I need to put back up.
The gate I need to put back up.
You can see the 4x4 leaning against the house, and the holes where the cement screws were driven in in the beginning.
  • There is a few ways to fix this issue. One put lead expanding bolts in the holes, which may need to be drilled out even more. Fill the holes with an epoxy with a threaded bolt stuck in the hole sticking out. Or drill new holes in another spot. If you put the screws into the cement between the bricks that is wrong. You should have drilled into the brick itself. The mortar used to hold the bricks together is not strong enough to prevent the bolt from pulling out over time. Lastly use a roller on the bottom of the gate to take away some of the weight on the hinges.

• Ron Anderson

Thank you, Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse for your inputs. I was thinking that drilling into the mortar was the proper thing to do, as I wasn't sure if drilling directly into the brick would crack the brick, and then I'd really be in trouble. If I were to put lead expanding bolts in the holes, I should still redrill directly into the brick itself, correct? I also had thought of getting wheels for the gates, and saw the best prices at Northern Tools. Which of the two do you think would be better, the lead expanding bolts or epoxy?

• KMS Woodworks

If the "inside" of the wall is accessible a hole completely through the brick and inside could then be set of with some "all thread" and some large steel plates...this would make it pretty bomb proof.

• Ron Anderson

KMS Woodworks, I'm afraid I don't think the inside is accessible. The 4x4 has to be mounted right at the edge of the house, and that only leaves the visible bricks.

• Miles Enterprises Inc.

put a floating hieght wheel under the gate to make it easier to open and take the stress off of the 4x4 or use a 2x4 super secure it to the houseby boaring a 1/4 inch hole through the 2x4 and make certain you penetrate the mortar and then drive two nails simultaneosly through the same hole . if you mount the 2x4 that way usuing several holes the house will have to down before you get that piece of pressure treated lumber off of the house

• Miles Enterprises Inc.

add a 2x4 to the one you have and it will be the same as a 4x4

• Ron Anderson

Miles, that sounds like a smooth way of securing the 2x4 to the side of the house, but I'm not sure I can go with that option, as I have the hooks to hold the gate up driven through the 4x4, and I don't think a 2x4 will be thick enough for the hooks. I like that idea though. I think I may redo my work, and drill my holes directly through the bricks and not the mortar, and hope that the bricks don't crack. I just ordered me 2 wheels from Northern Tools to mount to the bottom corner of each gate for support: Gate Wheel with Suspension - 210-Lb. Capacity, 8in. Pneumatic Tire, Model# CT-GW01.

• Jackie Prim

Good advice but now you have a BIG dog I think I would call a local pro.Good Luck!

• Allison Robbins

What if you open up a small area of pavement to auger a post hole then set the post in cement. Even a metal post flange at the base screwed into the pavement?

• Steve Dumaine

youve probably fixed this by now, but I would use whats called a double expansion anchor in the brick. i have had great success with them. https://www.confast.com/products-double-expansion