The Queen of Teal

I have had this mirror for a long long time, it has seen many different paint colours but I really wanted to paint it teal. I just needed a base for it!
and then...whoosh, along came a sideboard and the mirror fitted perfectly! Meant to be!
now I could start painting!. Using a Behr paint called 'Beach Towel' I started on the drawers
I decided the base doors needed some personality so out came my stencils and some drywall compound.
I covered the whole stencil with the compound
Lift the stencil off carefully and you have this!
Leave it to dry overnight and then you can sand it very carefully and remove any parts that are too raised, although they add nice dimension
Once I was happy with the stencil I painted the teal all over the piece.
When it was all done, I decided the paint colour was too bright for the style I was creating so making my own glaze with burnt umber acrylic paint I applied this all over and quickly wiped back to reveal the teal below.
I wanted more colour than this so used a wet sponge to drag most of the glaze off making sure to leave it in the corners for a more 'aged' look. Using acrylic artist's paint in copper to highlight all the raised areas. I also painted the original hardware with the copper paint.
The mirror got the same treatment
a close up of the detail
The top was sanded back to the bare wood and stained with a dark walnut. The whole piece was varnished with a water based varnish.
And here she is in all her glory 'Queen of Teal'
Please visit my face book page to see more of more furniture and my paintings. Hit LIKE and you will get new updates. Thank you for visiting!
www.facebook.com/dandelionsandpoppies
Julie McDowell - Design Artist

• Jay17883832

How does the dry wall compound stay on the finish? Your finished product is stunning - did a great job.

• Itsmemic

this is gorgeous !!!! I have been agonizing over painting a tv stand teal...afraid to take the plunge...:) I loce this..BUT..I don't understand how dod you paint the trims and stencil design with the copper? without getting it all over the teal?
  • Dia32305778

Amazing and beautiful! You are so talented! Can you give me any tips on making a china cabinet black and gold but antique looking and products that would be best? Thank you

• Shannon Box

I AM SOOOOO IN LOVE WITH THIS!!TEAL IS MY FAVORITE COLOR,AND THE COPPER LOOK FOR TRIM JUST PUTS THE FROSTING ON THE CAKE. NOW I KNOW WHAT IM GOING TO DO WITH MY 2, DRESSERS AND MY OLD MIRROR!!THANK YOU SO. MUCH!!!!YOU ARE VERY TALENTED 👌😉👳❣❣❣❣

• wow! Thank you so much Shannon, what a lovely message. I am about to start technique videos so check out my FB page. Dandelion and poppies. Love Julie

• Txv23592625

The furniture is beautiful. Love the teal and copper together. You must have had lots of training and practice. I could never make a piece look this regal.