Lisa S
Lisa S
  • Colbert, GA
Asked on Jan 1, 2012

How do you plant a pineapple crown?

Douglas HuntLisa S3po3
+2

I've never before propagated a pineapple from the crown. I turned to the "how to" internet sites and no two instructions were the same. I planned to put it in a sunny window for the winter and set the pot outside for the summer. But what is the best way to get it to initially root?
  • Cheryl G

CLEAN IT GOOD MAKE SURE ALL THE FRUIT IS OFF IT. GET GOOD POTTING SOIL I USE THE MARICLE GROW ONE. I PUT A LITTLE BIT OF SCHULTZ TAKEROOT ON IT THEN PUT IN POTTING SOIL. KEEP DAMP AND IN SUNNY WINDOW. THEN REPOT USING THE SAME SOIL WHEN READY. FINISH FILLING POT WITH SOIL. MINE DO GREAT.

• 3po3

I didn't know you could do that. Makes sense, but I guess I never thought about it.

I suspect you found so many answers because it's fairly easy to do, Lisa. My sister just sticks the cut-off tops in our sandy Florida soil and away they grow. I think the key is using a well-draining planting medium and keeping the soil evenly moist, but not wet, until the plant gets established. Good luck!

• Lisa S

Update on the pineapple crown. It rotted:(

Sorry to hear that, Lisa, but it's worth another try.