Building an Adirondack Bridge

This fall we decided that we finally needed to create a way to get from one side of our yard over a somewhat muddy gully to the other. The best way? Build a bridge. Not just any bridge, an Adirondack bridge...
building an adirondack bridge, diy, landscape, outdoor living, woodworking projects
We used trees that my husband found on our property, some leftover boards from some other projects and a few new boards. It took a lot of work to get the larger trees we used for the frame across.
A little creative maneuvering , some elbow grease and the tractor. Two hours later. Hubby had to build up the other side with boulders and braces and then cement to hold it all in place.
Lots of creative work with the chainsaw. I joked that pretty soon he'd be able to carve bears out of a tree stump. He had to notch out many of the logs to make them all fit together. It's like a big puzzle really.
He poured cement footings and used thick trees for braces. Then he was ready for the decking. Most of it we had laying around from our deck or other projects but he did have to pick up a few boards. Once the decking was down, it was time for the posts to hold the railing...
The final details in the railing system.These took some time to set in place as well. Lots more notching with the chain saw. Once that was done it was now a matter of filling in the spaces with smaller tree branches. Lots more cuts at just the right angle..
Fore more details on how we built this bridge, please visit link below!
Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek

• Linda Sparks

Your Tree Trunk Bridge is AWESOME!!! My question is about the eventual decay of the wood. Did / would you need to treat it with some sort of preservative from the natural elements, weather, termites etc? I absolutely love the rustic look of anything and would want it to last as long as possible. I'm a senior citizen with a natural curiosity about things, so bare with me if I seem to be ridiculous in my question :-)

• Penny

@Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek i love it!!! does it lead to tarabithia? lol

• Chevin

Is this from Sourwood Trees?

• JeanMarie Sullivan

Beautiful! Have any trolls taken up residency under it?

• Cro6216046

wow, that is mpressive

• Vic33754081

Wonderful,, Some beautifully straight wood.

Just need a sign up to give some details about the building of it. People love to read about the history of the making of a bridge.