DIY Penny Balls for Your Garden

Penny balls are quick and easy to make! They look beautiful in your garden, and they also repel slugs and will make hydrangea flowers blue. I found many samples to inspire me on Pinterest, most made with bowling balls, but I thought Smoothfoam would be the perfect base for my penny garden ball. Weatherproofing the Smoothfoam with varnish will make it safe to use outdoors. Mine has been in my garden now for almost 2 years, year-round, and still looks great! The pennies have a bit of a patina, but the foam is still intact, which is just what I wanted.
6″ Smoothfoam ball - www.smoothfoam.com
Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Spray Paint – Satin Brown Boots
Marine Varnish by EarthSafe Finishes
Beacon 527 Adhesive
Paint brush
Pennies
1. Spray the ball with brown spray paint and let dry.
2. Apply a coat of Marine Varnish over the entire surface of painted ball and let dry.
3. Glue the pennies to the ball and let dry.
4. Apply a coat of Marine Varnish over the pennies and let dry.

30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Cindi McGee

• Roxi

I have no clue what these are suppose to mean. What do you do with them? I am lost completely.

• Cindi McGee

@Roxi It is a garden accent - the pennies actually help repel slugs which can damage your garden plants, and as another reader just shared with me, shiny pennies keep away flies and mosquitos too apparently!

• Dee Ann Kennemer McFalls

Ah, when you mentioned flies and mosquitoes, I decided I’m gonna have to make these. I may have penny balls all over the place, lol!

• Margie

where did you get the rabbit?

• Cindi McGee

@Margie Isn't he cute? :0) It was a gift, not sure where my mom got it though - sorry!

• Julie Moyna

@margie look on eBay!! Also, hobby lobby before Easter!

• Katherine Howard Jones

I wonder if the copper is still effective for the purpose you mentioned if varnished? Are your Hydrangeas blue?

• Cindi McGee

@Katherine Howard Jones Well, I honestly have NOT had a slug problem and mine is varnished. Mine is in my rose & perennial garden, so it has not effected my hydrangea. I honestly have been thinking about making a much smaller one to tuck under the hydrangea bush, which is also very small right now, and see if it makes a difference!

• Katherine Howard Jones

@Cindi McGee My Mom used to put nails and pennys under the Hydrangeas in our back. They are a variety of colors - wonderful colors when the cold spell hits suddenly. Good luck on yours. I love the idea of the penny balls. Thanks!

• Liz Pawsey

I just read this and will add my 'penny's' worth of knowledge. I live in the tropics and we use an ioniser in our swimming pool. This has solar power and puts a small electric charge through the copper rod which is in the water. Copper is deadly to algae but effects very little else. I could put one of these in a fish pond and the fish will be very happy while the algae is kept at bay. I suspect the copper pennies are doing the same in the garden; effecting slugs, fungis/mold etc; but I think I'd try to only varnish the top of the pennies and let natural decay happen on the sides so the garden benefits from the copper ions released.

• Steve

Do not add this to a fish pond!!! Copper is toxic to fish. You would have a mass die off of all your fish.

• Renee

What kind of glue did you use to adhere the pennies? I can't see that. Beautiful, piece. I don't like the mettallc looking globles in gardens. This is exceptional. Kind wishes, Renee. New Years Eve in Orlando, breaking all time records 87°.

• Cindi McGee

@Renee Hi Renee! I used Beacon Adhesives 527 to hold my pennies down. It is a very similar product to E-6000 adhesive. Smells bad, but works great and again, has held up over 2 years in NC weather year round - I have lost about 3 pennies, which I glued back on. :0)

• Tammy Hudson Edwards

How big an area will the penny ball help against slugs?

• Cindi McGee

I honestly don't know the answer to that for sure - but my garden is maybe 4 feet wide by 10 foot long (irregular shaped, but about that) and I have had very little issue, so it's worked for me at least. If you have a huge slug problem, two other things that have worked for me are putting a ring of kitty litter around the base of the plant (it tears up the slugs) and/or putting small saucers of beer (yes, BEER) out at night - they LOVE beer. You get up in the morning and the saucer is full of bloated dead slugs - gross, I know - but they are at least not on your plants!

• Gethsemane20010

They say lava rock does real well. They don't like the roughness.

• Patty

I save eggs shells, then crush them up and toss handfuls all over the garden. The eggshells will also repel by having edges too jagged for their slimy bellies!

• Pat

Garden sand and cornmeal around plants or beds. Again it is rough on their bellies and tears them up. Both items help with soil also.

• Sarah Jane

Diatomaceous earth is supposed to work on both snails and slugs. I believe it is available anywhere they sell swimming pool supplies.

• Sandyo

Diatomaceous earth over surface in pots NOT WORKING. I think maybe slugs live ON the plants and don't take walks ON the soil? arrrgh
    • MK McDonald

Stand by my shallowly buried shallow dishes of beer. Slugfest! 🐌
    • BARBAARA

can u just throw the pennies in the garden?

• Sandra Perriera

I've seen where they use a Bowling Ball instead of the foam that it stands up to the outdoor elements

• Cindi McGee

Yes, many people use bowling balls, but I can honestly tell you that after 2 seasons now of being outside in the garden year round, through winter weather, etc. my Smoothfoam penny ball is still just FINE. It's held up to the elements wonderfully! I liked that it was more lightweight and I could make it in different sizes than a bowling ball, plus the Smoothfoam balls are easier to find than bowling balls (unless of course you happen to have one lol!)

• Sandra Perriera

Would broken CD's work?

• Cindi McGee

They would work for decorative purposes, but would not have the same "repellant" benefits. I bet it would look like a sparkly disco ball :)
  • Susie

Isn't there still SOME copper in the pennies?? I think maybe there is? Just asking.
    • Cindi McGee

I'm assuming there is - they have aged a bit despite being sealed and gotten the green patina, which I do not believe they would have done without any copper content.

• Susie

I think you're right about the copper with green patina; I bet that just adds to the COOL look of the penny sphere! 👌😊
    • Lisa Cantrell

yes, there is some copper, it still costs more to make a penny than it is worth though.
    • Thomas

New pennies have brry little copper on the outside covering a zinc inside

• Cheryl Keller

Will clear gorilla glue work and can you spray a clear coat over it?

• Cindi McGee

I have not tried it, but if it is a quick drying adhesive, especially a gel adhesive, I think it would work fine. I found the gel to be better at holding the pennies firm while the glue dried. You could spray it with a clear coat and it should not be a problem. Several people have commented that sealing it will cause it to not have the desired effect on hydrangeas or slugs, but I can tell you that mine has been clear coated, has been in our garden for several years, year round in all weather, and I have had no degrading of the Smoothfoam ball, and my hyrdrangea is in fact blue and I have had basically no slug problem! Perhaps it's just luck (maybe from all those lucky pennies lol!), but either way I love how it looks in my garden with all my other electric garden items :)
  • Rose Marie

How many of these do you need in a vegetable garden? Slugs are eating up my green beans and a few other plants. One for each plant?

• Denita Kiser Carter

Egg shells will deter slugs. I keep mine year round and put them out in my garden. You can also fill up a small tin of beer and sit them around your vegetables or flowers. They love beer and will go straight to it. I find several in each tin of beer in the mornings. Just refill after disposing of the dead slugs and after a rain.

• Meem Kaplan

I'm glad the eggshells work for you. The slugs around here aren't deterred at all with them. I use beer. IT's gross but so are the slugs! I used to have chickens to take care of them. Never had any grow big cuz they ate the little ones. Hubby didn't like the chickens so they are gone and now I'm buying beer for slugs. Oh well. I did think about lining the flower beds with pennies and I may do that but I won't coat them... I think that defeats the purpose but I don't know that for a fact. I do like the penny balls for décor in the yard, though! Quite cute!

• Kathy Lanora Thomas

Table salt like a line of table salt along the edge of the flower bed as slugs won't cross it because it will make them dissolve. Did you try leaving the egg shells in a courser grind I know you're not grinding them up but when you do your egg shells just break them up and a medium pieces. Not really big don't make them too fine. You want it to be uncomfortable. Scrapes up the slugs underside. You can also use anything that is abrasive.

• Donna

I tried epsom salts in my garden and it really helped with the slugs and the magnesium helped my plants. :) I may try to pennies around, maybe smaller balls.

• Laurel Galvan

I agree about not coating the pennies with a sealer/varnish. The copper pennies need the leach the copper for them to work.

• Susan

Another alternative to the slug problem: Put down empty tuna or cat food cans, add pour beer into can to about 1/2 full (old stale beer is fine). Next morning check the cans and you will find dead slugs in the cans.

• Rose Marie

Thank you!

• Miss E

i was thinking if varnishing pennys, is it the varnish that is taking care of the slugs? I also think I will just toss pennys into garden . Cute ball for garden though

• Amanda Nations

Better yet, I dump my beer-slug soup into my compost bin!

• Angela Colello

Do you polish the pennies or mix old with new? Also is it heavy enough for a windy day to stay put

• Jane Toomajanian

If you varnish over the pennies, will it still repel the slugs?

• Cindy

I think she varnished the ball to seal it BEFORE she put the pennies on.

• Barbara Burgess

Good question...She said that she varnished it again after she put the pennies on.

• Betty Neu

I will try this project! Thank you for the complete instructions with a list of the supplies and where to find them. Betty

• Sharon Lane-eckert

I have a lot of penny's. I had glass top coffee and end tables, I cover the tops with penny's, I Love them, so many people comments about them. Sharon