Replacing vertical blinds with easy pull drape

We are in a rented apt. It has vertical blinds that are old and shabby. How can we replace them with easy to pull drapes, the kind with rings attached to the top?
  11 answers
  • Mary McNeill Mary McNeill on Dec 22, 2015
    Check with management first to see if you must have white or beige to the outside. If all is OK you can buy 2 curtain panels you like and enough rings to hang them. They are not sold together. There are many colour choices at many stores. Make sure you really like the ones you choose because you'll be looking at them for a long time.
  • Tina Hill Tina Hill on Dec 22, 2015
    Ok without a photo I am just guessing here . The blinds are the mini blind variety, yes? i, first would take an old clean sock and lightly dampen it and clean the blinds really well and see if they look and better . if they don't look better , then i would look into curtains/drapes ... you didn't say if there were curtain rods up or not .... slider rods are fairly inexpensive and you can hang just about anything on them , depending on the weight of the fabric ... and at many fabric stores they have rings with clips on them ,like a child's mitten clip , and they can convert just a piece of fabric to a curtain with out any sewing at all .... I was a renter for the past 30 years( part of that was military life) and have put up cheap curtain rods in most of the places I rented , left them when i moved , and landlord was ok with that. another option is the removable adhesive hooks by Command Brand ( they have all kinds of hooks and picture hanging stuff ), that stay on until you take them off..... a couple hooks stuck to the wall across the top of the window and some of the ring clips i mentioned above and Viola , window blinds hidden and windows covered . Good luck
  • Lynette mayo Lynette mayo on Dec 22, 2015
    The main issue is my Large Patio Sliding Door vertical blinds. I need for now, instruction on how to replace the metal attachment that will open the blinds, the cord is intact., Metal tiny roundball pulling device broke off? is this doable. Later, I will need a large pole hooked up, to then attach curtains with sliders's circular wooden one's. No sure of correct names of all these items !
  • Cristina Addie Cristina Addie on Dec 23, 2015
    You can also create DIY Roman Shades without a sewing machine. I've copied and pasted directions for you, Hope this helps.
  • Johnchip Johnchip on Dec 23, 2015
    I do not see why you do not just tell the landlord they need replacing, they do not work right. It is his responsibility if you pay rent. He does have a responsibility to you. You might be surprised, many management companies expect this and just are waiting you to complain before they will act. i wouldn't put a dime into it. If they don't make the upgrade, I would move out of the dump if that is how much pride they put in their ownership.
  • Eileen Smith Eileen Smith on Dec 23, 2015
    Thats what I was going to suggest, Roman Blinds. B
  • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Dec 24, 2015
    Talk to the landlord first about the "improvement" you're willing to undertake. Anything that got put up can come down. Replace with mini-slat blinds for adjusting light/privacy so the next tenant has privacy. The landlord may spring for this if you do the labour. Then go with the deco rod and your drapery idea.
    • See 1 previous
    • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Dec 24, 2015
      @Lynette mayo Sounds like a winner. If that's how she operates, then save the old ones that are currently up. Do your own thing, and then when you move put the old blinds back up and take the new ones with you - even if they won't fit your new place. That way, she can't ding you on your damage deposit.
  • Lynette mayo Lynette mayo on Dec 24, 2015
    We are seniors on a budget. I was thinking of going to a store that cuts all kinds of wood? it might cost us less to have a curtain rod cut. If we measure the large sliding glass door & windows. It is our entrance to the patio. Perhaps then find decorative end parts, and the means to attach it. We are total laymen with this kind of endeavor. Many stores are very expensive for this kind of drapery rod. I am sure we need go to this store and see chat they have.. We want it light, maybe antique white. Light drapes also. Any tips on drapes that look good and are not very high priced !.No sewing please !
  • Kelly S Kelly S on Dec 25, 2015
    I used flat sheets on a closet rod at one of the places that I lived. You can either use the lip rings or run the rod through the top pocket of the sheet by opening the seams on both sides of the top of the sheets. I have done as other said and took the old track and vertical blinds down, put up new stuff and then when we moved out we put the old stuff back up, after giving it a thorough cleaning. Talking with the landlord or building manager is your first step.
  • Jill Jill on Dec 25, 2015
    I once used just long pieces of material with clips. Looked nice.
  • Susan Susan on May 28, 2017
    Apparently drop cloths are good for this too. Cheaper than curtain panels. And I have also seen it suggested to go and have a piece of pipe cut the length you need rather than buying a curtain rod. That way there is no middle section where the drapes don't move smoothly as the pipe is thicker and therefore doesn't need a centre support. And the store bought ones extend which creates a ridge in the centre.
Your comment...