Soda Can Wall Art Copycat

$20

So a few weeks ago, I saw Gail @purplehues post a 'soda can wall art' that was inspired by horchow. It actually looked easy and affordable, only thing is that I recently gave up drinking soda, and it felt silly to buy soda just to use the scraps. Well thankfully, another Hometalk team member loves energy drinks and was kind enough to let me recycle them. This project required about 10 cans, a good pair of scissors, some cardboard scraps, an old pair of headphones, a few pretty beads, some spray paint, e6000 glue and four canvases.
First thing I did was cut the cans open and lay a heavy book on top of them to get the curl out. I was very careful while cutting!
Then, I drew some flowers and stems on the cardboard and cut them out to make a stencil. I traced the cardboard on the inside part of the can to cut my flowers and stems. I wanted to have some variety, so some flowers were bigger as seen above and the other flowers were composed of smaller petals.
Next step was spray painting the flowers, stems, and headphone string. All of Gail's flowers were white and gold but I wanted a little variety so I did the white and gold but also yellow and green. Gail also used a wire hanger for the stem, but I couldn't figure out how to cut that (and do not have wire cutters at home) so I cut the chord of a broken pair of headphones and painted them with a layer of spray paint.
Next I assembled the flowers using e6000 glue. This part required some patience and was a little tricky getting everything to stick together, but once I was patient enough to let the glue dry, it stuck. The flower buds were just single beads that I picked out at the crafts store that glued right on.
I must give a shout out to my husband who thought the canvases looked boring with the plain white background and asked me to draw grass. I was very against that idea, but inspiration struck and I decided to give each frame a gold border with the gold spray paint. I'm happy with the decision.
And here is the final product! Can't wait to get these guys up on my wall!

25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper

• Shira
    Shira

Are the edges sharp when you cut he cans? Do you need any protective gear to handle the pieces?

• Lea
    Lea

Did the cans get rusty after a while?

• Phillipcardjr
      Phillipcardjr

The cans here are aluminum and won't rust. Plus by painting especially with oil based paints such as Rustoleum or Valspar brand metal and aluminum is protected.

• Reenie Smith Shaw
    Reenie Smith Shaw

Hi!
    i can’t find the instructions for making these? Can you help? They are gorgeous!!!!
    thanks!