DIY Chalkboard Tags

I’ve been in the middle of transitioning Jack’s bedroom, and by that I mean slowly piecing his room together with simple elements of design. Beforehand his room was just a whole lot of toys and pieces of furniture that were good enough for storage, we never really had a specific theme. After building a pretty cool industrial shelf, I knew it would be the perfect piece for Jack’s bedroom. Since then, I have been slowly adding, changing, and creating a theme wrapped around the industrial shelf! Here’s a little project I have been working on…
New Purpose
Do you know what these are? If you guessed freezer baskets, BINGO! My parents had a few of these oldies sitting in their basement and I couldn't help but think how great they would be for Jack's stuffed animal storage. I sprayed them with some black Rustoleum paint, 2 coats to be exact.
Step 1: Start with a piece of wood that is approximately 4″x 8″ x 1/4″
Step 2: Cut every 2″ and you will have 4 pieces that are 2″ x 4″ x 1/4″.
Step 3: Once each piece is cut, measure or eyeball a hole on each end and use a drill to create a hole for the wire or string that you plan to secure tag in place. Sand edges, corners and surface -- smooth as a baby's bum!
Step 4: The tags are ready for some chalkboard paint. Begin painting one side, let dry approximately 20 minutes, flip and paint other side. I did 3 coats in total. Tip* Use a q-tip to paint the inside of the hole, works wonders.
Step 5: Once your chalkboard labels are dry, approximately 24 hours, cut wire or string to secure tags in place.
Step 6: Attach and write on the DIY chalkboard tags…Ta-da, your finished!

Kassandra DeKoning

• Clearissa Coward

Love the idea and the look.

• Flipturn

To help teach kids to tidy up their toys, for the little ones who can't read letters or words yet, put small stickers on the chalkboard tags in the picture of the item that goes in the basket. If you can't find stickers, then you could simply cut the object out of a magazine or flyer, and lightly glue on to use temporarily, or until your storage needs change.