Star Wars: Concrete Death Star DIY

$8

The new Star Wars 7 The Force Awakens is out! Who else is exited about that? I didn't have a chance to see it yet but I can't wait to finally go to the movies. In celebration of the new Star Wars movie and Christmas around the corner I did a little Star Wars related geeky DIY: Concrete Death Stars! But wait not just regular Death Stars but concrete Death Star Flower Pots and concrete Death Star tealight candle holders.
How does that sound? It's so easy and cheap to make. Want to know how? For the full tutorial, please visit my original post at http://www.wemustbedreamers.com/star-wars-concrete-death-star/
Materials you'll need:
Death Star ice molds (I got mine of Amazon)
Cement
Quartz sand
Funnel
Small terracotta pot
Bucket
Trowel
Duct tape
Tealight candles
Some old newspaper
First you have to mix the cement and Quartzsand to make concrete. We mixed 1 part quartz sand to 2 parts cement in our bucket. Be careful it's a bit dusty. If you want you can wear a protective mask to keep you from inhaling the mixture. Add as much water needed to get a yoghurt like texture. Prepare your Death Star molds. I heard you should use some oil in the forms to make it easier to remove so I tried that but can't really recommend it. It worked just fine without oiling it first.
Place the terracotta pot and the tealight into the part of the mold without the hole. This will be the upper side in the end.
Tape the bottom of the terracotta pot shut so the concrete doesn't flow into it while pouring it into the mold. I used just a stripe of duct tape.
I placed the upper part on top and stuck the funnel in the already excisting hole to fill the form up. I didn't fill it up to the top so it will still be able to stand as the molds are perfectly round.
It's quiet messy so you might want to wear gloves. The concrete washes off really easily though.
Gently shake the mold a bit to remove bubbles. You have to be really careful or the flower pot or tealight will move around. I still had some bubbles in mine in the end. Probably because my concrete mixture was a little too dry. Next time I'll add a splash more water.Leave 24h to dry completely.Remove the molds and admire your work!
Get creative with the plants. I used an offshoot of one of my succulents.

Annika Ritter

• CB

I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason that I won't have thought of, but why make the concrete instead of just buying something like Quickcrete that already has both parts?