Ijensen
Ijensen
  • Altamont, UT

Organize and Storage - Reclaimed Pine Cabinet Into a Cleaning Station.

I found this pine cabinet/armoire at a yard sale for $65.00. I saw the vision of a wonderful cabinet to store my vacuum and cleaning supplies in my master suite. I knew it had potential even if my husband questioned it.
reclaimed pine cabinet into a cleaning station for master suite, chalk paint, organizing, painted furniture, storage ideas, woodworking projects
I had never done chalk paint and was a little nervous about painting this. I wanted something unique.....so added fake drawer fronts to the lower portion of the center door. I purchased the drawer fronts at ReStore for $1.00 each. I was concerned they were so thick and would make the door heavy so I sent them through the table saw to make them thinner (raised the blade as high as I could - ran through one way, flipped the board over and ran through the uncut side). Cut a groove in the top drawer to make it appear like two smaller drawers. I also added furniture buns to the bottom of it. I purchased the buns at the ReStore also...and for only $1.00 each for them. Once I finished the middle door, I painted with homemade chalk paint (Valspar Swiss Coffee and calcium carbonate recipe) and then clear waxed it. I added new hardware purchased from Hobby Lobby. I did spray paint the hardware a deep aged bronze. I lightly distressed it to make it look like worn furniture. Loved how it turned out!!!!
This shows the distressing a little better.
The inside was pretty much a blank canvas. I wanted to customize it to store my vacuum, broom, steam mop and cleaning items. The smaller right section will be used for additional bedding storage. (Notice the hole in the lower left corner for the vacuum cord)
I hung some of the hooks from the top instead of sides to hold the broom, etc. I made little storage bin racks to fit my supplies. The baskets just slide in.
Close up of basket bins.
And the vacuum accessories rack. Just used a hole saw kit to drill different sized holes in the board. I just set the accessories on top to determine spacing/size before drilling the holes.
Now a place for everything and everything in it's place....:)
And the finishing touch....décor on the top....:)

• Jeani Miller Miner

What is the reason for storing all your cleaning supplies in the master suite? It's a great piece of furniture, curious as to why cleaning stuff and not clothing or something

• Joanne Wolfe

@Ijensen This is exactly what I need to do, we have three floors as well and lugging the vacuum around the entire house is getting old.

• Linda Barrett Dirksen

Absolutely love this! Pure genius idea for the drawer fronts, love the inside organization too. Are you going to paint inside the cabinet as well?

• Ijensen

@Linda Barrett Dirksen The inside will stay the natural color. I figured it would be more durable like that since any nicks or scrapes could be hidden with furniture wax...:)

• Kay

I used to live in a 3 storey Town House, yep this is a bril idea - but do you have a set for up-stairs and one for down? I would

• Janis Herger Hilton

@Kay When I was still up north, I had a big house and I had a vacuum for each floor! Now I am in a little ranch, so one vacuum does it all. :)

• Jeanette S

I wish now I had not gotten rid of my old TV cabinet! I could have made a nice storage cabinet out of it. The good thing about this is that it could sit in the living room and still be useful!

• Jessica Montaigne

WOW! It's just great! Beauty and function, so clever ;^)