Marvin R

by Marvin R

Hometalker

Asked on Jan 3, 2012

Allium question

Faidra at  CA Global IncDouglas HuntMike and Anne
+2

i bought some alliums this weekend on sale and planted them but its really cold here does anyone ever plant them in the winter? Im wondering if i should have waited.
  • Marvin, did you plant sprouted plants or just the bulbs? Typically the bulbs are planted sometime in October or November for the NC area. They flower in the spring.

• Marvin R

They were bulbs i knew it was late to plant them but i got them on sale and i wanted to get some blooms this year.Its been a pretty moderate winter up until the last couple of days.

• Mike and Anne

Marvin, with temperatures in the teens expected tonight it would be a good idea to make sure the bulbs are well-mulched. I prefer getting them in the ground by early November but the soil is still warm and with a warmer end of the week expected I would hope that with a good mulching the bulbs will be fine. Several of my alliums are already out of the ground so I mulched them earlier this afternoon and will hope for the best.

I've found bulbs to be extremely forgiving, so if you can get them in the ground and mulch them well I think they may be OK. Once at the nursery where I worked in New York a bag of alliums got "misplaced" and we planted when we came across them in February and they still bloomed.

• Faidra at CA Global Inc

I heard as long as the ground hasn't frozen and you mulch really well you're good to go. They'll bloom later than usual, but it's even nicer to see them when you don't expect it.