Hamtil Construction LLC
Hamtil Construction LLC
  • Saint Louis, MO

What's the deal with lead based paint, and why should anyone be concerned?

Maybe you've seen the warnings on paint sticks, or read an article someplace. "Use caution when sanding or disturbing lead based paint." Is it all a lot of hype? I have to argue as a contractor, that no, it really is not. While many people make a choice to simply ignore lead paint warnings, there could always be consequences to that decision. For instance, a friend did a large DIY reno a few years back,
This is an example of an EPA "Firm Certification" that anyone working in a pre-1978 home must possess.
There are several DIY lead test kits, such as the D-Lead kit shown here.

• Hamtil Construction LLC

@Jason Allison - I like your thought. It would really help if paint centers provided more information on lead safety! For the DIY crowd, and for those hiring a contractor alike! As someone who follows the EPA RRP rule, I desire that more homeowners were aware of its existence. The EPA has done a terrible job of providing education on the rule. It would be nice to see some of the money we pay to be certified recycled back into awareness campaigns that target consumers. What better place than a home/ paint store to meet that goal?

• Pamela Czaplicki

my nephew has been treated for lead poisioning... it's no fun!! please be careful!