Jeff C
Jeff C
  • Broadview Heights, OH
Asked on Mar 25, 2013

Any ideas on making a custom birdseed dispenser?

Becky (J) PJaymeKMS Woodworks
+1

anyone out there have any ideas or tutorials on how to create my own bird feed dispenser instead of keep it in a bag? I'm thinking of a long plastic tube with a screw able lid but i'll need a handle or something similar to allow the bird feed to pour through the opening. or what else do you folks suggest for storing goldfinch food. storing it inside of a bag is not working too well.

I keep my birdseed in galvanized can with a tightly fitting lid. I think thistle seed has a shorter shelf life than standard black oil sunflower seed, something like three months. If you don't use it that fast, you might want to store it in the freezer.

• KMS Woodworks

When we were feeding regularly we used a plastic rubbermaid type container by the door. we used a smallish grain scoop to fill the feeder from this storage bin. This was indoors so now worries about chipmunks chewing a hole in it.

• Jayme

We keep our sunflower/wild seed mix in a galvanized garbage can w/lid that sits just under our deck by the feeders.....same with ground corn. The thistle seed I keep in a small plastic trash can w/lid that usually sits in my garage.

• Becky (J) P

definitely a galvanized can. Learned this after the squirrels ate through my plastic cat litter containers.