How to Strip Veneer - no fumes, no power tools, EASY!

So simple, so easy! I have been trying to tackle the messy job of chipping veneer off pieces to re finish them and what a pain in the hiney! I thought of an idea, and while I was testing the theory, I asked our lovely facebook followers their favorite method. Well, pretty much everyone said either using a wet towel and an iron ( which wrecks both the iron and towel) OR use a heat gun - (which would then have the fumes from the adhesive floating up in your face - or house and then requires use of masks and such) SO Here you go. Very easy - SOAK a towel so it is dripping wet in a mixture of half water and half vinegar. Place it on the veneer. Have a girls night out and let it soak over night. Make sure it is SOAKING wet. I even went back later and used a water bottle and just poured it right onto the towel to make sure it was soaked! Come back in the morning and use a putty knife or chisel and it will peel up like butter!
To see more creative ways to tackle repurposing projects - visit us at http://www.facebook.com/gypsybarn
how to strip veneer no fumes no power tools easy, diy, how to, tools, woodworking projects, Before I came up with the simple solution I was one of those people chipping away and cussing out loud This way takes forever you get slivers its a MESS
Before I came up with the simple solution - I was one of those people chipping away and cussing out loud! This way takes forever! you get slivers, its a MESS!
how to strip veneer no fumes no power tools easy, diy, how to, tools, woodworking projects, Laying the towel down it Was a very thick towel and dripping wet when I put it on the pieces
Laying the towel down.it Was a very thick towel and dripping wet when I put it on the pieces
how to strip veneer no fumes no power tools easy, diy, how to, tools, woodworking projects, one or two test runs in the morning reveals very little muscle power at all and it was peeling right off
one or two test runs in the morning reveals - very little muscle power at all and it was peeling right off!
how to strip veneer no fumes no power tools easy, diy, how to, tools, woodworking projects, Slicing through that crud like a hot knife through butter
Slicing through that crud like a hot knife through butter!
how to strip veneer no fumes no power tools easy, diy, how to, tools, woodworking projects, Here is the piece that I finished using this technique
Here is the piece that I finished using this technique
how to strip veneer no fumes no power tools easy, diy, how to, tools, woodworking projects, Here is another piece I finished using the same technique
Here is another piece I finished using the same technique

Questions on this post

Your question...
  3 questions

Comments

2 of 101 comments
Next