Paticia G
Paticia G
  • Clermont, FL
Asked on Jan 4, 2012

How often is it necessary to check for termites in Central Florida? Thank you

Roxanne SWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.comSherrie S
+5

• Sherrie S

I don't know if you would see them until they did damage or you found their wings (possibly inside the house). Swarmers shed their wings then termites mate, then seek out sites to begin new colonies. Wood & moist soil is a suitable colony site for subterranean termites. I guess there may be other types of termites, too. My pest control company found the wings and advised me of a potential problem. They treat my home once a year. No additional problems have been found.

• Rae

What do the termite wings look like? Thanks. Donna L. Ocala, Fl

• Roxanne S

thinking of re-locating to Orlando..how costly are pest control treatments, such as Orkin? Is once a year enough?

• A yearly evaluation should be performed in all homes within areas that have been known to have termite issues. Also if the house was treated it is even more important as you want to be sure that the treatment program is doing its job. But a yearly program should do the trick.

• Paticia G

Thanks all for the replies

• Sherrie S

Roxanne S, Woodbridge is a professional company so I trust their statements. Now I will tell you that I consider my termite treatment inexpensive. Termites love Florida & our houses. It pays to have professional treatment. I don't know if I can quote the yearly rate I pay (on this site) but I would be glad to do so if I can.

• Once the house is treated, only spot treatments can be performed. And only if activity is found. You simply cannot keep treating over and over again just to be protected. Most termicides only last around six to seven years. The trick is to get a renewal agreement that covers any need to retreat should another insect occurrence shows up. Also be sure to use a company that practices integrated pest control. Meaning that they also provide methods of prevention or at least suggest methods that make the area less attractive to the insects and rodents. It could be something as simple as piping your gutter leader pipes away from the house, or cutting some shrubs. All of these things makes it harder for bugs and rodents to develop and thrive. Termites in Fla are a bit different then you find up north. They can live in the attic while the ones in the north must return to the ground for their moisture. This is why barrier systems such a chemicals and bait work so well. There methods of checking and killing are a whole lot harder and much more expensive as a result.

• Roxanne S

thank you very much for the information, very helpful